Could this kit work on a Pacific Island diorama ?

the pilots and the tug. would these work on an island setting? not sure if something else was used to tow planes on the island bases..

thx - Craig

Musicman59

are the pilot's uniform strictly for fighters? wondering if the figures would work with an island based B-25

Reply to
Musicman59

are the pilot's uniform strictly for fighters? wondering if the figures would work with an island based B-25

These look like Navy or Marine Corps fighter pilots, I believe crew of an Army Air Force bomber would have been different.

Reply to
Val Kraut

I doubt if they used a tractor to pull planes around on an island base. They'd probably use any regular vehicle at hand if needed. If the ground crew were shirtless, and had khaki pants, they would be a more realistic Pacific Island Marine crew. I don't really know if Navy personnel, other than corpsmen, were assigned to island bases.

Reply to
willshak

Musicman59 wrote the following:

I doubt if they used a tractor to pull planes around on an island base. They'd probably use any regular vehicle at hand if needed. If the ground crew were shirtless, and had khaki pants, they would be a more realistic Pacific Island Marine crew. I don't really know if Navy pilots or personnel, other than corpsmen, were assigned to island bases.

Reply to
willshak

They are fighter pilot uniforms.

Reply to
willshak

Though they would work if you're doing a B-24 Navy version. Friend of mine was ball turret gunner in one, was used for recon. Interestingly, flew with 2 Army Air Corps B-24s for 'fighter' protection. He was involved in aerial photography before invasions on a few of the Pacific Islands. They'd take off, then rendezvous with the Air Corps birds, usually 2 could be 4 en route to the target.

There were Navy personnel on the islands. More later in the war. Though early on expect lots of cut offs, no shirts especially in forward areas. There might be a dress uniform packed somewhere, but usually new issue clothing was few and far between for a while.

I'd paint the tug dark blue though. Yellow really stands out on a carrier deck. Most carrier decks, in fact all were painted dark blue before Pearl Harbor attack. Check the regs online at some of the sites, its pretty much haze grey and underway. Maybe grey, check some of the paint schemes for what you're trying to portray.

Just the pilots would work in a diorama. Make an ops hut from palm fronds, put coral down for a runway, hand painted signage, check some of the WWII photos of the bases. Maybe some tents. Gotta have a slit trench for bed check Charlie.

And don't forget, get a decent Rising Sun flag, sword or two, who knows what you could get off a passing carrier.

In Korea dad swapped a jeep for a few gallons of Navy ice cream. The AF stole the jeeps from the Army anyway. All the pilots had a personal one.

Reply to
frank