Dispensing beverages in the UK

I assumed that beer and other carbonated beverages were dispensed through taps by CO2 like here in NA. Is this so? I'd like to get a firmer grasp on air supplies for airbrushes on a world wide basis. Over here beer comes in half barrel and quarter barrel kegs; metal ones that you can rent for parties. Thanks in advance,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Some (myself included) would say that the best beer is kept in unpressurised barrels and drawn by hand pump.

An awful lot is dispensed using CO2 as you say though.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Ahhh the loveliness of cask conditioned ales and a beer engine....

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

If you get to the UK, just look up British Oxygen in the phone book. They deliver to bars, clubs, factories, wherever compressed gas is needed.

Chek

Reply to
Chek

I buy CO2 from welding equipment suppliers in the US. Should be plenty of same in UK, I'd think.

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

Fine job! We've got similar suppliers both sides of the "pond."

Thank you for your answers. Are your unpressurized casks wooden? How do you keep the carbonation up? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Keeper, Here's what I was speaking of when I referenced Cask Conditioned. you don't see it much in the states but it's worth having a glass when you do.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Good read!

I have a couple of friends who do their own brewing, installing semi fermented brew into bottles. Close to cask brewing but I imagine a good wooden cask imparts another subtle flavor to the mix. Now I want to play with one of those "beer engines!" Thanks!

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

ours are aluminum and sealed tight. most carbonation comes from the pump system, though the beer starts with it's natural gas.

Reply to
someone

old whiskey casks can make great beer. a friend has 5-6 and makes a lot of very interesting brews. he makes a batch of na for me every once in a while.

Reply to
someone