F4U predecessors?

What was the F1U (or FU), F2U, F3U? I know there was a "Corsair" scout plane in the 30's but I don't think it was designated an "F".

Just wondering.....

Reply to
Michael Stanley

in the 30's but I don't think it was designated an "F".

I doubt it...

...here goes that "it gotta be in a series" thread again...

Reply to
Rufus

The FU-1 was a radial engined bi-plane made in the late 20's It was based on a two-seat observation plane called the UO-1 and was essentially the same plane with the front cockpit faired over to make a single place fighter. The aircraft could be used with either wheels or floats. Only about 20 were built, but weren't a great success as pilots complained about forward visibility as they sat in the "rear" cockpit. Most were "converted" to two-seat trainers called the FU-2 by simply opening up the original front cockpit. The aircraft had no name that I know of.

The XF2U-1 came out in 1929 and was based on the Vought's O2U Corsair observation plane. Due to extended development, it was outclassed by the time the prototype was completed.

The XF3U-1 was a two seat fighter flown in 1933. At the time, the Navy was having second thoughts about the need for two-place fighter aircraft and the type was not ordered into production.

HTH.

Dave

plane in the 30's but I don't think it was designated an "F".

Reply to
Dave Williams

in the 30's but I don't think it was designated an "F".

According to Ray Wagner's "American Combat Planes":

O2U-1 two seat observation planes were called Corsairs.

FU-1 was operational single seat biplane. Equipped with floats for catapult use aboard ships and wheels for use from land bases and aboard carriers. They were later refitted into FU-2 two seaters and usage with floats and catapults stopped.

XF2U-1 and XF3U-1 were 2 seat biplanes in the fighter/bomber category. The X prefix gives some indication on how far the designs got off the drawing board. ;-)

WmB

WmB

It did go into production in almost the same form, as the SBU scout bomber--larger wings, more fuel, bomb carriers, etc.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I'll bet it had one, though, with a designation like that!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

And with the wacky Navy designation system who the heck knows.........

rich

Reply to
Rich

You misspelled "turkeys".