Hard to get rid of models

We might be making the decision to move rather than add on. If we move to a house w/o storage I am in big trouble. I spent some time with my children out in storage and could only find one kit to sell off, with 150+ still there.

This is gonna be a long, hard process, especially since most of the kits are common ones that stil are available and will be hard to sell.

Doesn't everyone need 7 1/48 B-17's? Which one to kick out of the nest?

I'm pathetic. And I got my Squadron flyer today too which just poured salt on the wound....

Craig

Reply to
Craig

i would love one of those. but the even ebay ones are out of my range. anybody wanna trade one for music?

7 x B-17s? I can't even think of a use for 1... Lancasters, now that's a different thing :P And why are your children in storage? Maybe you really *do* need to move

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Someone I know at work moved not to long ago and had a simular issue. He knew that I build models and gave them to me. I already have quite a few unbuilt models myself. I took the models to a local model show/contest and donated them to the raffle. You can do that or donate them to a local youth club.

Mangry

out in storage and could only find

common ones that stil are available and will be hard to sell. Doesn't everyone need 7 1/48 B-17's? Which one to kick out of the nest?

Reply to
Mangry

What's wrong with the B-17????

I must clarify. My models are my extended family. I have had the damn things for so long they feel like part of the family.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Or veteran's hospital. There are several around here that at least two people collect models for.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

i was gonna say donate them to poor shmucks here...but the kids and vets are a better idea. i don't really need 6 lindberg ar 234's......

Why in the world would you buy a house lacking sufficient storage space for your models?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm not moving but I'm in a similar position. I have a ton of kits and I'm tired of knocking piles of stuff over when I walk through my place. I've been taking them to the local model club and selling them. When it's time to figure out what to part with, I find myself holding back on some kits. One trick that sort of works is to think of hobby shops as an extension of your storage. It tends to make parting with treasured but easily replaced kits easier.

Reply to
Gary Kato

I agree. We bought our present house precisely because it had room for my models. More to the point, it had a room away from the rest of the "real" rooms where my wife didn't have to deal with them. Same result, I guess.

Ed "If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you; and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with him." --Barry Goldwater

Reply to
RobbelothE

I've stopped worrying about keeping kits for the "collectors value." Sooner or later (usually after I've paid 10 times the originall selling price for a "rare" kit) it gets re-released.

Ed "If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you; and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with him." --Barry Goldwater

Reply to
RobbelothE

How 'bout something like this? With the release of the CA F-5A I now have several redundant Hawk F-5As. I'm considering letting my kids build them while I build the CA kit. Or, my IPMS chapter is doing a thing with the local EAA chapter, building models at an open house while kids watch and ask questions, hopefully generating some interest. Curt

Reply to
C Knowles

I just never caught the B-17 bug, I guess. B-24s? I'd build one or two if someone gave 'em to me. Same with 25s. Call me anti-American and dob me in to Mr McCarthy, if you like. I just always preferred the Brit stuff. But it was meant in jest.

I know what you mean re models and family - mine have been a wonderful, non-troublesome substitiute for a while now.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

i wish you guys would list the common, low value kits here for the budget modeler.

neat paint schemes. i've found the faa stuff opposite numbe aircraft are cool too. sunderlan/ju290, strinbag/sm79...... i don't care much for single engine prop fighters, and all the american bombers have been done to death.

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

No kidding. My storage area looks like the oldies room in Chris's old shop.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

These days......double it......almost all the aircraft are two or more per box, some as many as five.

Reply to
Ron

neat paint schemes.

Has anybody heard any more about that proposed 1/48 scale Sunderland??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

you yankin' me, bill? if i sell a bike, i could keep it in the carport.