Help w/ HST Pulling 8" Howitzer

Hi:

I have almost finished my High Speed Tractor and I need help with the air hose for the brakes on the howitzer. I have found a couple of pix showing the hose from the tractor but nothing showing where it goes on the cannon. Are the hoses mounted on the cannon permanently or do they just hang loose? Where are they stored if they are only used when pulling the gun?

I have the new high speed tractor book and surfed the net and no luck. I even talked to a retired artillary officer from the 60's and

70's and he said that was before his time.

Could someone please help?

Thanx, Carl

Reply to
fredjocko

Carl,

The main airbrake hoses are permamently mounted on the inside of the trails of the gun and from what I recall connect to the ones on the limber, which have the connectors ("glad hands") to connect to the HST fittings. I haven't looked at it in several years but that is what I photographed here at APG several years ago but can't recall which disk it was on! ARGH! Too many photos...

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Hi Cookie,

I've emailed Carl with photos showing what you describe!

I took photos of the 8" Howitzers at Woolwich and Duxford, concentrating on the brake lines from the guns wheels right back to the limber.

Only the Woolwich gun (Royal Artillery Museum) has a limber and this appears to differ slightly to the AFV Club kit, but the brake hoses are as you describe them.

Anyone else who needs the photos, drop me an email!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

On Mar 18, 6:10=EF=BF=BDpm, "Chris Hughes" wrote= :

Chris,

Hooah! A "Redleg" at heart!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Yep, on the button there Cookie! It's how I started off some 35 years ago... I spent 6 years in the Royal Horse Artillery before going on to other things!

As they say over this side of the Pond - "Once a Gunner, always a Gunner"!

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes