How to determine mission, markings and, ordinance multi engine AC

I am reposting one from military aviation to emphasize the research on how to determine markings and ordinance. I can't help but think non naval units would designate torpedo units as opposed to level bombing units. I would include anti-submarine units as well as units that launched rockets or had extra machine guns and cannons used for strafing. I suppose in the past I always went with what the governments said about their aircraft. In some cases it is obvious that the Mosquito was a bomber and a fighter in different marks. The P-61 Black Widow, big as it was was a fighter.a SM-79 Sparviero seems to have mostly dropped torpedoes as did the Bristol Beaufort. It gets complicated by one country who had a type may have used it for torpedoes, another may have made a night fighter.French planes of the Potez type have me stumped. Basically I am asking help in sorting these types into their various missions, I mean primary use, not secondary use as a transport unless relegated to that role. I believe it is a give that the Japanese used almost anything as a Kamikaze. In fact it would fill out the picture if any types such as a Frances or Irving were too valuable to use as kamikazes. Also I know in the case of Dorniers and Junkers twin engine types they served in distinctly different units such as level bombing and night fighter.

I think I read that the B-26 Marauder could launch torpedoes. This is just one example of a multi role plane It causes me to wonder if this and other twin and three engine types had different nits and crews for different missions. I would think the answer is yes. Then I wonder about distinct codes and unit insignia place on a regular paint job for a given air force. How could one tell a B-26 that trained to launch torpedoes. I believe He-111s launched torpedoes. I suppose the number of multi-use types is bigger than I suppose.

AC

Reply to
Albert

(snip)

Markings rarely indicate the mission. Sometimes, like the Luftwaffe fighters with a crosshairs-on-a-bomber marking, it does happen. But the usual thing is that the markings reflect the place where the unit was stationed or the history of the unit or something like that. Also, you won't find a special "B-26 torpedo squadron" but instead one bomber squadron might be trained to drop torpedoes--but no special markings would be applied. Such markings would be discouraged because it would give valuable information to the enemy. The Enola Gay didn't have a big mushroom cloud with the logo "A-Bomber" painted on it for obvious reasons.

Reply to
dancho

I guess archival material would be necessary about multi mission types. Perhaps that is more precisely what I meant which groups and or squadrons performed muti task missions. Naturally I suppose a Japanese Sally or Helen groups as well as HE-111 German groups or Italian SM-79 and Fiat BR-20 Groups would be much harder to determine multi mission operations than say B-26 Marauders or Bristol Blenheims. Not only is language a barrier, but I suspect operational records are gone for one reason or another. With the Russians it is hard to say what the objective is in their after action reports.

Reply to
Albert