Hurricane Wheel Wells?

I am painting my Hurricane Mk.1 (early) with the black and white undersides. I need to know the color of the wheel wells. Were they the same green as the cockpit, natural metal or something else? Classic Airframes calls for aluminum for the inside of the wheel well covers but does not mention the wells themselves. Any help greatly appreciated. Pete

Reply to
The Laws

Most often they were the colour of the underside. IIRC, early Mk.1s had aluminium-painted undersides, so that's what I'd go with.

Reply to
Jeff C

I have seem wheel well pics at

Its a Mk.IIa restoration, but the AFC seem pretty fussy about the details. Looks to be natural metal with some chromate - but its certainly not the underside colours. I can't really recall as its a while since I took the pics. The radiator however does have the black and white running into the intake and out the rear.

Someone was asking a while back about the mustard gas patch - that can be seen in some of the pics too.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Phillip Treweek Department of Computer Science ph ++64 7 838 4410 The University of Waikato fax ++64 7 838 4155 Private Bag 3105 Hamilton, New Zealand

'Kiwi Aircraft Images':

Phillip Treweek

Pete: I have photos of a restored Mk I with the black & White: and they painted each well Black & White Respectevly.

I did a two year 1/32 scale Mk I a whuile back and still have all my reference material. ( a Bunch O Stuff) I would be happy to scan any specific areas you might need.

Contact me at snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Denis Winters <

Reply to
Denis Winters