Masking Colors and Rust-Oleum Clear Laquer

Hi,

I've never tried two tone with spray lacquer and I would like to know if people think my plan will work.

I have a cardboard / balsa model rocket that I want to spray with Tamiya Pearl White lacquer, mask off a pattern with Blue Tape, spray with Tamiya Transparent Blue lacquer, remove the masking and then spray everything with Rust-Oleum Clear Lacquer.

I want to do the entire job in a day or so and I'm concerned that the either the Pearl White won't dry enough to mask safely or that the Tamiya lacquers will dry too much for the clear coat and things will just crack up. Any advice on this timing issue?

Has anyone had any experience with Rust-Oleum Clear lacquer? Is it ok to put on top of Tamiya lacquers? Is one lacquer just like any other?

Mike

Reply to
Michael B Allen

Michael B Allen wrote: : : I have a cardboard / balsa model rocket that I want to spray with Tamiya : Pearl White lacquer, mask off a pattern with Blue Tape, spray with Tamiya : Transparent Blue lacquer, remove the masking and then spray everything : with Rust-Oleum Clear Lacquer. : One complaint/caution I have heard about Tamiya paint is that you either need to allow them to dry for a VERY long time before overspraying them. or you hit them within minutes of laying down the first coat.

If you have the paints on hand, it sounds like you need to test it on some scrap to see what happens. I suspect the need to wait for the Pearl While to cure may be a problem.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Hi Bruce,

Well I just did a test spray and now I have more problems. The Pearl White doesn't cover and I wasted a lot trying. Now I'm screwed.

Does anyone know of a store in northern New Jersey that sells hobby sprays like Tamyia or Testors? There used to be a hobby store around here but AFAIK there's nothing anywhere around here. Even Toys-R-Us doesn't sell hobby stuff anymore.

Ordering it on the net could take too long at this point.

Mike

Reply to
Michael B Allen

I'd bet even Jersey has auto parts stores, maybe even an Autozone. There you will find a plethora of lacquer touch up paint in lots o' colors. Actually, I think I found the stuff I have at the moment at WallyWorld, but Autozone has a bunch. For white you do realize you really need white primer? Very light gray works too, but.... Light coats, let it flash for about fifteen minutes, hit it again.

Reply to
Disco58

Wasn't sure but ok. Sounds good.

Ok. Would it help or be ok to sand with a fine grit (600) in between?

I guess if I have to shoot everything without curing I cannot do masking with tape. But since it's a rocket I'm thinking I can create a paper sleeve with the pattern cut out. Just slide the sleeve over the tube and shoot over that.

In fact, the paper sleeve mask idea has lead to an interesting thought. I wanted to do a star pattern where the bottom of the rocket is beep blue but increasingly frequent stars of different sizes transition it to pure Pearl White on the nose. So after shooting the whole thing in white primer and Pearl White I slide the sleeve down the tube low and shoot below it in transparent Blue. After 15 minutes I'll turn and slide up the star pattern sleeve and shoot again. Repeat two or three times and the effect is increasingly prominent stars with the base a deep deep Blue and the nose completely pearl white.

Mike

Reply to
Michael B Allen