Model Car Painting Question re Clear Coating

When exactly should a clear coat be added when painting a model car? For example, I just finished putting down multiple coats of Tamiya red metallic lacquer on a Revell Corvette. In between coats, I sanded out the paint. My final coat is near perfect, but there is a very subtle bit of "orange peel". Do I sand this final coat and then clear coat or clear coat and then do a final sanding?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I would buff it out and add a few thin coats of testors Clear lacquer from the two part lacquer system Testors offers in their new auto paint line! That stuff is the bee's knee's. Clear coating the metallic paint gives it depth and luster!

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

And don't sand any metallic paints too much! Those paints are usually made from silver colored particles suspended in a transparent (in this case red) paint. If you sand your paint coat too deep, the silver particles will show through. If the orange peel is not too bad, spray the clear coat over it, then polish it out.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.