OT: Socket Stuck on Socket Wrench

somehow the dang thing got stuck on the end. the socket is smooth chrome and I can't get a grip on it to pry it off.

Ideas? I tried throwing it on the ground but that did not work. Not sure I want to use a lube as it might make other sockets not stay on as well. Maybe force a screwdriver in and twist?

(geez this sounds like the plot of a bad date)

thx - Craig

Reply to
who me?

If the socket is iron or steel under the chrome (many are), use a strong magnet to lift it off.

Reply to
Rob Kelk

Oops - missed a step... After you've secured the socket wrench so it can't move, of course. (But I'm sure you've got a vise somewhere, right?)

Reply to
Rob Kelk

With a rag ,grab the socket and wiggle it applying some pull as you do.... and just ecause sometimes the obvious elludes us, does it have a center button?

rich

Reply to
Rich

Can you get a small standard screwdriver between the socket and wrench? I've had the same thing happen to me a few times, it seems the socket gets a tad skewed on teh lug on the wrench, a little prying with the screwdriver either will pop it off, or it will reset and you can pull it off.

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

Most sockets have a small depression or hollow inside one of the interior walls that go hold the little ball berring where you press it onto the wrench itself. Perhapps they're not lined up as they should be. Wrap it with something then put it in a vice and use a vice-grip and a hammer and the lightly tap until it's free again. Hope this helps a little......

... Carl .......

.
Reply to
CYBER BORG

no, there is no release button.

Reply to
Craig

Put some Penatrol..or some kind of penetration lubricant on the area in question. Let it set overnight. In the mourning, after your coffee or tea, go and give it a good sharp rap on a solid surface( metal preferred) and it should fall right out. If that doesn't work try hot water and tapping the exterior. From your posting I am assuming you have some thing stuck in a socket? If you have a socket stuck on a wrench try using lubricant and a bench vise. Good Luck Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I've usually found that sockets come off easiest when they are in a position to fall into some crevice that I can't get the dang thing out of without undoing all my previous work, if not more.

Try brandishing it over the toilet or a storm sewer grate.

;)

Or use the small slot screwdriver-as-a-lever idea.

HTH

Cliff. Jones

Reply to
Cliff Jones

Usually, the easiest way is to put it back on the last nut you tightened, and give it a little jerk, not too hard in the opposite direction, should come loose.

Ideas? I tried throwing it on the ground but that did not work. Not sure I want to use a lube as it might make other sockets not stay on as well. Maybe force a screwdriver in and twist?

(geez this sounds like the plot of a bad date)

thx - Craig

Reply to
Harry Kolomyjec

How about putting the thing in a freezer for a couple of hours. As it gets cold, the metal shrinks just a little and the parts might release. Do put gloves on before attempting to pry them off each other so your hands don't get stuck into the (now very cold) metal parts.

Reply to
Vesa Halme

I triple dog dare you.....

rich

Reply to
Rich

And lick the wrench thorougly too...

Reply to
Mark M

......of course you could just toss 'em and go to Sears and buy a new socket and wrench, and I'd bet they're all on sale today too. ;~)

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Better yet...if the "ratchet in question" is a Craftsman; take it back to Sears for a FREE replacement. (Do they still have a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman tools?)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Not on 'all' Craftsman tools. I took a stapler back and was told they couldn't help me without the original sales slip. I pointed out to the young man that it had been purchased over 30 years ago (or sometime way before his advent) and that I didn't keep sales receipts that long. At least it still functions, if not well.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

That anecdote reminds me of a scene from "King of the Hill". "Hank" is in the shower, scrubbing the tile:

"Good LORD!....The grout! It's turning....GRAY! The guy at the hardware store said it would last TWENTY YEARS! How long has it been? SEVENTEEN??!.....Peggy?! Where's that receipt?"

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

If it's a Sears wrench, try pushing the button on the back of the head...maybe while also applying a little WD-40.

Reply to
Rufus

Lightly put the socket itself in a vice and tap the internal center of it with a punch and hammer and it should fall free. Pugs

Reply to
Allen Epps