Paper models for HO train layout

Please pardon the cross post but I have been searching for some unique structures to place on my HO layout. I am thinking about paper models for my layout, specifically that of city structures like skyscrapers and alike. Can anyone give me their input on specific programs or web sites for this type of venture. Any input is very much appreciated.

Reply to
serveyerself

Google on "paper models", or "paper model design program", or some other phrase, and you'll find all kinds of stuff.

happy hunting. wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Some I used for 1:76 scale toy soldiers, print them out, check the size, adjust as required and print again. I used the printed sheets on a thick card support, reinforced with lolly sticks (which are flat in the UK) and coffee stirers.

- This was the best links page I found for access to downloadable buildings

- Models by Michael Goschütz, including the very nice Scottish crofters cottage (schottenhaus)

- Zippy's card models, includes some nice farm buildings. Quite detailed, HO scale so re-scale to 110 percent for use with Airfix figures.

- A collection of PDFs of 15mm scale french style buildings intended for wargaming, can be used as is re-scaled to about 120 percent for Airfix figures but are shallow from front to back so internal detailing is problematic. However the pictures can also provide some useful textures and elements for re-combining on your own design of building.

Some examples can be seen at -

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

You might find this company's products of interest. I have seen the finished product on some club's layouts and at train shows. Pretty nice considering they are made of card stock and mat board.

Their URL is

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Brian Smith

On 8/15/2009 3:56 PM Brian Smith spake thus:

Hmm. Not bad.

Usually I'm pretty leery of those "printed" paper models, but these actually look pretty good.

If I built them I think I'd go to the trouble of making the windows more realistic. For example, the service station model

would look a lot more realistic with just a little careful knife work cutting out the windows and backing them w/clear plastic.

And of course the paint job makes all the difference here.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The paint job always makes the difference. :^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

Ran across this today while looking for other stuff:

LD

Have a look at

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On 8/16/2009 12:52 PM Chris spake thus:

Man, that page took forever to load! (Dialup here.)

But dayum, it was worth it. Puts those other crude paper models to shame, that's for sure.

Paper rules. It's my favorite modeling material these days. I'm not even close to this master model maker in skill, but there's so much you can do with the humblest of raw materials.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 8/16/2009 12:52 PM Chris spake thus:

Truly amazing.

Have you seen this yourself? Can you describe it for us?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I wish. No I haven't been there. It benefits from some very clever lighting, but the train does work (just to keep on topic).

Chris