Re: Making Model Kits?

I think making a kit in styrene is beyond most of us kit builders. You cannot simply melt plastic on the stove and get it liquid enough to pour into a mold. A styrene kit like we build is injected plastic. This means that plastic pellets are liquified then under immense hydralic pressure is injected into a mold that is loaded into this big expensive injection molding machine.

Now however you could make a vacuform plastic kit in your basement but again you need the right type of equiptment.

Also the guys who do figure kits in what is called the Garage Kit industry make their kits out of resin. You could make your pattern then slice it up into individual components for molding. You then use Room Tempurature Vulcanizing rubber to pour over the pattern to make a mold. More than likely it will have to be at least a two part mold and you must be very careful of any undercuts in the piece otherwise it will be stuck in your mold! You then use resin to pour into the mold to make your pieces. This is a skill I wish I had more knowledge on because RTV rubber and resin aint cheap and your failed pieces cost money.

I hope this helps,

Cheers and good uck if you pursue this, Max Bryant

Has anyone tried making their own kit? Not just scratch building but actually > molding the parts etc. starting with plastic. What it needed to do this? I > imagine there is more to it than melting plastic and pouring it into a mold? > > If someone sold a kit of a plane, does anyone need to be paid royalties for > using its likeness? > > Thanks for any insight.
Reply to
Max Bryant

Am curious about that. Does anyone owe the Messerschmitt family $$$ when Hasa makes its 1,976th version of a 109? Who owns the rights to a Panther tank? Or is everything old in the public domain.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Sort of topic related, I recall hearing that the F-22 rights had to be bought by game and model manufacturers. IMHO this corporate intellectual property thing is really out of control when it considers replicas as another source of rightful income. Lawyers, eh? I also had a conversation with the guys at Aircraft in Miniature ( UK vacform kit makers) who told me that for their Concorde kit, British Airways demanded a 'royalty' for using their new style markings on their Concorde

1/72 kit. Air France on the other hand, practically flew the researcher to Paris for a champagne weekend, and made copies of the paintshop's full size airliner painting guide available. They may have been exaggerating about the champagne part ;) - but you get the idea. Guess which livery the kit was issued with? Shame really - cos the other one's so much cooler. Chek

Reply to
Chek

Probably trying to secure another source of income in case nobody wants to order the sodding plane. Maybe Lockheed Martin should just stop pretending and release a scale model kit rather than the real thing. At least the dimensions would be correct and it would sell better.

Reply to
Toni Lassila

I was wondering about things such as some of the German missiles. For example the V-2 which was developed under the Nazi government, but also used in the USA, USSR and in a slightly different forms in China. What about some concepts scientists came up with but were never built?

Could a garage kit builder secure some sort of royalties. I.e. 10% of profit or something goes to the actual company?

Reply to
Turbulent2003

Back when it was new Convair had a cast resin CV.880 available in 1/72 scale.

Some manufacturers have "desk models" produced of their products. These are usually pretty large and they usually end up in the hands of their customers who buy the product.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

It's not as clear cut as it used to be. On some US government contracts now the manufacturer of the item may retain most if not all rights as to the name, design, etc. Also the manuals and documentation may be copyrighted by the manufacturer, and the government (including DOD) may pay for the rights to use this documentation.

A lot of this came from the push to privatize the government, and also to have agencies be self-supporting. On several aviation contracts that I'm aware of the manufacturer contractually retains design rights

- the government is the user and has no inherent rights to the design of the aircraft, even though that aircraft wouldn't exist if DOD hadn't wanted it.

An example of the change in government rights is the government information business. There's lots of US government information available free, but it was a big hassle for agencies to provide it to the public, so several agencies set up contracted operations to do this, i.e. they got contractors to do it for them. Interestingly several of these contractors have copyrighted the information and are now providing it for a hefty fee.

Your government at work...

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

I remember when that came about. During the 1960s, when I was in the service, one of my sargeants bought a military 1-ton 4-by from a government surplus auction. Cost him $200, and was sold with the stipulation that because he was on active duty, he'd have to get the vehicle registered in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and painted non-regulation if he wanted to drive it on base. He complied. When I got out of the service and went back to college, I heard about motorcycles (Harley 750s) being sold by the government (50 to a lot, stripped in the shipping crate, needed to be put together, etc.) I even met guys that bought bikes via the government, so I know this "urban legend" was true, if sometimes exaggerated. Anyway, about 1982, I wanted to get back on the auction list (I let it lapse during the mid-1970s) and found out that Uncle Ronny had sold the rights to John Northrup Inc. I would have to shell $10 EACH TIME I wanted to place a bid. (intead of the previous FREE). Also at that time, I found out that AMF cut a deal with Northrup that no motorcycles would appear on the bidders' list. (I heard that the manufacturer bough 'em all back and scrapped 'em.) The local customs used to have a siezed goods auction once or twice a year as well; not you have to kiss the local entrepeneur's arse to get anywhere near it, only to find that its mostly picked over. Thanks a lot......

The Old Timer

lots of auctions at the nevada test site. i got a 1 ton cube chevy diesel flight line van for 165 bucks. when i saw it, it had no rear end and i wanted it for the 6 pallets of pc's i had bought. (for $211) when we got the van to my friends, we hooked up a radiator and battery and it fired right up. so i bought a used rear end, wheels and new 5 core radiator to get it on the road. total cost was under $600. it had

41,000 original miles and makes the best moving van, bike hauler, camper, i've ever had. the computer stuff paid for all of it and then some. love the gsa.

Yeah; before you know it, we'll even have to pay for the Air^(TM) that we breathe...

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall