Renwal Ship Prices

More money than brains syndrome? Or (being more tolerant of those with more ready cash than I) a deep desire to get at any cost, the things of our youth. My first model was a Strombecker USS Chicago. But at the prices that it can command on eBay, I won't get another anytime soon.

The Old Timer

I have always been quite enthralled with the Renwal kits, I think because they seemed to be more technical in nature, as if they weren't made by some toy company. (this being from a ten year old kids point of view). Subs with interiors, 1/48 scale cars with pre-colored parts, etc. (no, I never got any of the biology kits). I loved them then and still do. The later white with red boxes aren't as desirable to me, though, but I stll have several of them. Renwal and Aurora just seem to really hit something, alot of that coming from the box art, I think.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Pacific95 wrote: Renwal

I agree. Most of my kit memories are from the box art. The Renwal armor kit boxes were great, The Revell 1/72 Memphis Belle, 1/32 Raiden, 1/32 P-40, and the box art of the actual kit that Revell did in the 60's with their WWI line of planes. Were they the first to do that?

Building the kit was almost anticlimatic to just holding the box.....

Craig

Reply to
Craig

the ontos kit was pissah.

Have I missed a trend? It used to be ship kits of all types were cheap and easy to get. In the past several weeks, some Renwal ship kits have gone for four or five hundred bucks. On eBay now, there's about ten Renwal kits and the bids on each are over $200.00.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why these kits are suddenly gold? Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

No, no, no! $200,000 qualifies for the MMTB syndrome -- BIG TIME!

Many thanks.

The Old Timer

"Jerry,

I remember building the Renwal ship kits when they first came out. The big selling point for me, if I remember correctly, was common scale on the warships. Revell had what some call "Box Scale". The hull was sized to fit a standard cardboard box - so you ended up with scales like 1/437. Destroyers, Battleships, aircraft carriers were all the same size - you couldn't display them as a fleet. With Renway you could. The detail also seemed really good and , at least to me accurate. They didn't re-release the same kit as three sisters that should have had major variences.I built the whole Renwal ship and armor line - my one gripe with the armor was here was a case when Revell had standardized on 1/40th, then monogram came along with a larger scale, and Renwal with a yet larger scale.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

save me the lindbergs.

When Renwal went under, Revell got the molds for the SSBN subs with interiors. Revell (Germany) recently re-released one of these as the USS Andrew Jackson. It is all of $22 retail. I have watched IDENTICAL versions of the Renwal kits go, in one case, to over $800 in the past month, and in another case, to over $500 (and it was the SAME bidder!!!). One could buy a whole slew of great resin submarine kits from Blue Water Navy, Tom's Modelworks or Combat Subs for that much money!

BTW, these Renwal (Revell) kits are fun to assemble OOB for nostalgia. The submarine exteriors are somewhat inaccurate, and the interiors are highly inaccurate. The engineering spaces are a hoot! But, they look cool with a good paint job. Revell even through in some new, more accurate decals. Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

Isn't the Andrew Jackson being reissued this year?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Been out for a few months. I might actually build it this time. Scale Modeler had a good feature on it 4-5 years ago.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

It looks like the same guy is bidding both $200 kits up. The Compass Island is an AKA, modded as a missile research ship--same hull as their SEMINOLE, in my oldies box. I think they did a third modding of this AK The King is not the KING. Not sure now of the mistage, but they made a model of the Mitscher class, added a missile at the stern and called it a Dewey class. Same with the CLG's--standard Cleveland class with two missile launchers repacing the stern turrets, by no means accurate. As much as we remember having fun with them, I would rather spend the money for a real model, in resin if need be, than these "toys".

Reply to
Tom Cervo