That one kit you keep putting back in the stash...?

What is it?

What's that one kit that you've got in the stash, you keep pulling it out say, "I'mma be building this one NEXT!" and it's still there the NEXT time you look at your stash for what to build.

Tell us about that one kit? What is it? Why is it STILL in the stash? What keeps pre-empting its build?

I'll start y'all off:

At home in MN it's the AMT/ESCI/ERTL XB-70 kit. I suck donkey stuff at gloss white paint schemes, and I've also heard that the fit is att- rocious. I want to do it RIGHT the first time as the replacement is so freaking expensive.

Here in Korea, it's the Airfix 40mm Bofors kit. The thing is so horribly bad, and the flash is out- rageous, and it's the only goldurned kit on the freaking MARKET! There's more parts to the gun aiming system than in the entire Airfix Churchill Mk 7 kit! What the hell!?!?!

So, tell me, dudes and dudettes... What's that one kit you keep pulling out and putting back in the stash?

-andyh [just trying to keep the group in existence at this point...]

Reply to
hill4448

It's not one kit, it's a stack of Williams Brothers 1/32 kits, air racers and a Sparrowhawk. Love the subjects. The plastic looks great but the instructions.......... gaaaaaaa and the paint schemes are, to say the least, a challenge. Afraid of messing up beyond any hope of recovery.

Reply to
rfranklin

There's the out of production kits - now pricy on ebay or not available - so I think if I screw someting up I can't replace the part.- something looks weird to do - so back it goes

There's the great kit when I was a kid. I open the box and remember it was really a bummer - so into the stash it goes.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Right now, I'm preparing to put *all* of my unbuilt kits back into stash...I hope to finish what's on my bench at present, but I plan no new starts until I retire in 4.5 years. That's so I don't have to move built kits to wherever it ends up being that I plan to retire to...

...I got a plan...and priorities.

Reply to
Rufus

Well, actually a couple of them.

I've only recently got back into plastic models and I really suck at it. I did a 1:48 LM and it wasn't too good. Next was a 1:32 CSM and it was better, but not anything to crow about. I've got a second one which I'll do later but I'm doing other models until I think I am ready to do the

1:144 Saturn V. If I can do that to an acceptable standard, then I start the 1:12 Mercury capsule.

Until then, many more models must die in the name of my proficiency....

Reply to
Obviousman

The 1:12 Mercury is mine, too. I want to do it *right* so I keep putting it off and building other things instead. I'd classify myself as a competent rather than expert builder so I really don't want to screw it up.

There's also the 1:24 Mosquito - so long as it's in the box, not yet started, I can imagine that one day I'll build it to the standards I hope for (and the people on here seem to achieve every time). But as soon as I do start building a model I realise my limitations...

Practice might not make perfect but it does make better. And the practice is fun...

Reply to
GordonD

My major stash fixture is a CoopersDetails vacform 1:48 Westland Whirlwind. Have not done much vacform (canopies are about all) so I am hesitant about starting something expensive that I could turn into landfill. The only other item that will be waiting a while is a Trumpeter Fw-200. That is on delay due to the shear size of the thing and problems over where to display it as all my models go behind glass.

Tony Christchurch NZ

Reply to
Stadia

Actually it's a tie for me SB2C, and He 219.

The Revell - Monogram SB2C Helldiver I have the Cutting Edge resin set and Eduard PE for it. There is soo much resin and brass I shudder at how long it will take to finish it. I love carrier A/C but this one has got me stumped...

The Tamiya He 219. Again Aires, CMK, (all the CMK sets) and Eduard PE for it, well over twice the cost of the original kit, and again daunting with all the extra parts.....

Second/third place goes to the Academy Su 27. But I will get through that one eventually. I actually got the MiniArm R 27 missile sets for it :) And Aires, Eduard sets for it as well...

I'm in the process of building the 2 seater Su 27 UB, mucho resin/brass, but doable for me. Also working on the Tamiya F 16 C Block 30 in DC ANG markings for a friend who works in that squadron.

Reply to
AM

Your just sick and need help here.........

Reply to
AM

Monogram's 1/72 B-52, the "Big, Bad and Beautiful" version. I just don't know how I'm going to display it. I want to do an in-flight pose, but figuring out what type of stand to use is stopping me.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

David Young wrote the following:

Clear Monofilament fishing line hung from the ceiling. A single .008" ( human hair thick) strand can hold 4 lbs. Add multiple strands for more weight. Besides, it's up and out of the way so you don't lose around 9 sq ft of desk or shelf space. :-)

Back in the early 80s when I lived in an apartment and had my own model building room, I had a lot of 1/72 planes hanging from the ceiling with the MF line. The largest were a B-17, B-24, and a B-25. The B-24 had wheels up, clear prop spinners, and the bomb bay doors open with 4 bombs (2+2) hanging from the bays on the same MF line. It lasted until I had to give up the room for my new daughter, then everything got put in boxes and stored away.

Reply to
willshak

i know what you mean, i went back after a long break. perhaps this can help you. i started thinking of kits as a series of models. i could break it down to sub assemblys and i looked at each as a seperate kit. this allowed me to concentrate on one at a time. interiors are a good place to start and by making the cockpit a stand alone assembly, it was easier to do one. i think you see what i mean, just work on a chunk at a time and see it as one seperate assembly that you don't think about untill the last model, which is putting all the finished chunks together. one task at a time, concentrate on it and forget the other details until you're there. did this make sense to you? i'm bad at explaining.

Reply to
someone

I am not sick. I can give buying plastic anytime I want. I can. Really. Why are my hands shaking....... The voices, the voices.....

"Help fight Advanced Model Acquisition and Stash Syndrome, AMASS, Build a kit!"

Reply to
rfranklin

I've heard lots of bad things about Mono's version of Curtiss' Sonofabitch

2nd Class over the years. Mostly, that when you're finished it's a really bad rendition as far as accuracy. Mine's been in the box since 1980 or so. I figured I'd build it as a bombed out deck or island wreck or something.

No idea why my AM SB2C... the other AM... is still in the box.

So many kits, so little time.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I remember almost having a coniption one day when the BB&B series came out. Some of the boxes for the BUFF were incorrectly printed 1/48 - I thought I had found my Holy Grail. Of course being so much older and wise... ok, older... about the last thing I could fit in around here right now is a B-52 bigger than a foot and a half.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I've heard lots of bad things about Mono's version of Curtiss' Sonofabitch

2nd Class over the years. Mostly, that when you're finished it's a really bad rendition as far as accuracy. Mine's been in the box since 1980 or so. I figured I'd build it as a bombed out deck or island wreck or something.

No idea why my AM SB2C... the other AM... is still in the box.

So many kits, so little time.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

just take it easy. open your tlc bottle and splash a little around on safe surfaces. now take the super dooper solver for decals and sniff a bit. splash it on some old aurora decals, now take the emergency kit, (a bottle of clear dope and some tissue) and use it to clear your mind. now get up slowly and face micheal's or hl. empty your mind for 10 minutes. sniff the tlc and you set to go.

Reply to
someone

...fumes, don't fail me now...

Reply to
Rufus

Actually that is the kit I have....... (AM)

Reply to
AM

That's a relief - seemed like an awful waste of PE. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB