the itch

anyone else get the building itch when the weather gets colder? i'm feeling the need to scratch and paint.

Reply to
someone

I think it's based on the way we grew up - the lazy days of summer are replaced with back to school and the start up of new efforts. There's also the effects of trying to airbrush in high humidity and getting sweaty finger prints all over whatever you're workimg on in the summer.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

humidity is almost never a problem but essentially i agree. it is good to have things to do inside when the weather changes. we actually have perfect weather now, not hot or cold, but there is some link to shorter daylight and doing indoor stuff. i have to go to my space and root through the stored stuff to find kits and paints. i think i feel like building something with swasstickers and black crosses. maybe that hipm 1/48 bv 141? it needs some scratching, the interior is barren. the idea of doing all the radios and controls from some pictures sounds like fun. gimmie that william green! what are you building, v?

Reply to
someone

I'm the opposite. I built my very first models in the summer, when I had more free time, so I get the itch most in hot weather. In cold weather I read more.

Reply to
eyeball

Started three a while back - 1/35th Sherman - Normandy, The old Renwal Hawk Missile Battery and the old Renwall SP howitzer just re-released.

The Hawk Battery is ready to start air brushing, The Sherman is ready for peice part painting before I can continue - the SP is a problem. I iniitially boughth it as a nostalgia quick build out of the box - was one of my favorites as an original release - but there's just many things that have to be fixed like hollow road wheels. I have an air brush box with fan in the basement - and with the dehumidifier running the basement gets uncomfortable by the end od the summer - it's back to liveable again.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

I don't get the itch so much with the seasons as I do when I know that I'm going to have long periods where I know I won't be bothered by interruptions...like phones, or work...

Reply to
Rufus

interesting. we didn't have ac when i was a kid, so hot weather meant outside looking for cool air and swimming any day i could. jeebus, that was way long ago.

Reply to
someone

makes sense to me. we never had a place for long. we were always following the old man when uncle sent him someplace new to play soljer.

Reply to
someone

"Val Kraut" wrote in news:4ea7028b$0$1983$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Just the hollow road wheels? How about all the storage racks inside?

Reply to
Gray Guest

"> Just the hollow road wheels? How about all the storage racks inside?

I picked on the hollow road wheels because almost anybody would look from the side and pick that up. But it's a real long list even if you're not a fanatic like Vink. The storage racks, the muzzle deflector, the tools molded to the side , the plow, ....... and yes I also bought the Atomic Cannon - presently awaiting the terra crusier and Mace next year - I passed on that one as a kid.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

I started working on a Monsters in Motion PotA Icarus. I also found out why= Heston crashed the damned thing, the cockpit only has a 12" TV screen and = what looks like a small radio - both mounted horizontally on the front cons= ole and completely out of the line of sight to the pilots. So I'm trying to= bash instrumantation based on a combination of Apollo capsules and the Spa= ce Shuttle (both were from the time period of the original movie). Also the= two back seats have nothing to indicate what those people were other than = passengers, so I added some consoling to the side walls there as well.

Regards, John Braungart

Reply to
The Old Man

"Val Kraut" wrote in news:4ea7209f$0$3959$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

I had a good start on it. I've built up a tool rack and a powder rack so far, removed the tools and the racks on the left side, replaced the drive wheels with a couple extras from the Mono M48 and have the AFV club track. Also fixed the barrel, got one of the rear doors finished. I still have to make the fender brackets, redo the headlights, make the upper rear door and all the associated supports, the projectile rack, the inside and door cranes. I wanted to do it all with scratchbuilt parts but I opted for Verlinden tools, jerry cans, ammo cases, 8" projectiles and AFV Club 8" shells and powder bags and some Archer placards and markings and some decal instrument faces.

It's kinda hard to build it OOTB given what we are used to these days. 8(

I also got a hold of the Monogram Deuce and a half and a Revell/Renwal Military Wrecker to convert to a 5 ton M54 for hauling ammunition and supplies. Probably use a little PE on them as well as scratchbuilding. Eduard PE for the AFV Club M35 has a lot of useable parts. The AFV Club kit might have been a better strting point, but I wanted to keep it in the spirit as much as possible.

Good luck with yours. At my new place I finally have a room to call my own and as soon as I get it cleaned up it goes back on the bench.

Reply to
Gray Guest