Very OT: What's the point of trading in a gas guzzling car?

Am I missing something? If you trade in your big truck for a high mpg car, and your truck is not destroyed, what are you accomplishing if someone else buys your truck?

too friggin' hot here in the SF Bay Area to think anymore. gonna watch Andy Griffith, have a beer and head for the couch.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

cars are just one place. think about the hate of later generations for using oil for transportation. the future may get very cold and hungry.

Reply to
someone

You're in Frisco; there are people there who are converting to bio- diesel. Why not join them? Which Andy? Andy Taylor or Matlock?

Reply to
The Old Man

I would do it to save on gas money. That would accomplish letting someone with more money pay to fill it up. My old stang is probably lucky if it gets 10-12mpg, so it is something I've thought about. As far as emissions, I'm more worried about the dreaded cow flatulence :)

Reply to
eyeball

I just read an article in Time saying world wide agriculture and its methane production is only 18% of the effect of fossil fuel CO2. There are people advocating eating less meat, but still that says 82 percent of the problem is burning fossil fuels.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

on 6/19/2008 11:03 PM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net said the following:

What's the alternative? Destroy your truck/suv/gas guzzler and take the $$$ loss? There are not that many people that green minded.

Reply to
willshak

I guess there are a few issues.

(i) Like most 'change' if you look at the individual it doesn't appear to matter. It's like the old "why should I vote - my single vote isn't going to change anything".

(ii) Well I guess if your car is going to be used again then you are right. But older gas guzzlers that are being replaced are more likely to end up as scrap now. So over time you will see a reducing number of uneconomic cars.

(iii) This is being accelerated because if it's anything like the UK the used-value of gas guzzlers is falling very fast - few want them - the salesmen are getting stuck with them.

In the UK I seeing a marked increase in smaller more efficient cars and also much slower driving on the roads.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Yeap. Natural changes in weather accounting for 0%...

Reply to
eyeball

Hi ya Craig,

Where are you in the Bay Area?

Corte Madera in Central Marin here.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

isn't it wonderful to belong to a species that must be protected from it's own mad cleverness?

Reply to
someone

If I understood my new daughter-in-law the Japanese have really figured it out.

Their smog problem from industry is horrible. Cars wouldalso make a huge percentage except for the fact that there are virtually no old cars on the road. When I was there a couple of weeks ago I didn't see anything on the road over five years old. I think that she said that registration for a new car is equivelent to $1,000, second renewal $1,500, third $2,000 and so on. When re-registering your five year old car makes buying a new car far more reasonable it becomes a done deal. Add to that very strict emmissions rules that are hard to pass with an older car.

Now I wonder where the 5+ year old cars that are traded in go?

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

You probably drank a coke out of it...

Reply to
eyeball

you also cannot sell or buy a motor with more than 40k miles on it in japan. that's why there's a huge used motor market here. i bought a toyota 22r motor that end cost with shipping was $500. that included the exchange of my old motor. this was left coast, right coast is ptolly more shipping.

Reply to
someone

or it was turned into a better car.

Reply to
someone

Albany, CA. right next door to good ol' Berzerkely.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

its a 5 yr old Mazda Tribute w/20k miles on it. Kelly Blue book, gives a rough resell at around 7k. talk about depreciation! luckily we live close enough to just about everything and rarely have to drive more than 2-3 miles to get to all the stores. just wondering how I, and all the others, will deal with unloading cars no one wants in a few more years.... she is great for hauling bags of dirt, etc and trips to home depot. sure will be a rough transition to figure out how to get that done with a much smaller car.. just one more thing to my list of 1000 things I have to figure out.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

before joe sixpack figures out 1+1=2, get yourself a small trailer. harbor tools sells a great one. or build it. why not only haul what you have to?

Reply to
someone

I'm wondering what kind of deal you could make on a car/truck that almost no one wants right now.

Wouldn't it be better to find the couch first then add beer?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Edward,Did you get my e-mail about the Lindberg Do 335?Let me know if you want it.Did you ever finish the Russian B-25?TomOn Jun 20,

4:10=A0pm, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:> In article , " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote:> > > > >On Jun 20, 6:50=3DA0am, eyeball wrote:> >> On Jun 19, 11:03=3DA0pm, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" > >> wrote:> >

high mp=3D> >g> >> > car, and your truck is not destroyed, what are you accomplishing if> >> > someone else buys your truck?> > >> > too friggin' hot here in the SF Bay Area to think anymore. =3DA0 gonna> >> >

watch Andy Griffith, have a beer and head for the couch.> > >> >

Craig> > >> I would do it to save on gas money. That would accomplish letting> >> someone with more money pay to fill it up. My old stang is probably> >> lucky if it gets 10-12mpg, so it is something I've thought about.> >> As far as emissions, I'm more worried about the dreaded cow> >> flatulence :)> > >its a 5 yr old Mazda Tribute w/20k miles on it. =A0Kelly Blue book,> >gives a rough resell at around 7k. talk about depreciation! =A0 luckily> >we live close enough to just about everything and rarely have to drive> >more than 2-3 miles to get to all the stores. just wondering how I,> >and all the others, will deal with unloading cars no one wants in a> >few more years.... =A0she is great for hauling bags of dirt, etc and> >trips to home depot. sure will be a rough transition to figure out how> >to get that done with a much smaller car..> >just one more thing to =A0my list of 1000 things I have to figure out.> > >Craig> > before joe sixpack figures out 1+1=3D2, get yourself a small trailer.> harbor tools sells a great one. or build it. why not only haul what you have> to?- Hide quoted text -> >

maiesm72

Even if natural changes are PART of the problem, we can't deal very well with that part. The only part we can do anything about is the human-induced changes. As a physicist whose specialty was radiant energy transfer through the atmosphere, the portion due to greenhouse gases is VERY convincing to me. Changes to the CO2 content of the atmosphere track very well with consumption of fossil fuels. And if greenhouse theory is wrong (highly unlikely) than people would not have built greenhouses. But they work!

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota