Wow. how long has rms been back on topic?

Many years ago I used to love rms, when it was a Usenet Newsgroup. When it got taken over by pretty unsavory characters, about 15 years ago, I left for various web-based forums. Glad to hear it is back- a one-stop forum for modeling!

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Very, very slow in there, these days though...

Reply to
Rufus

Sounds like you are describing my personal modelling progress there Rufus!! Nostalgia has a value all of its own.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Speaking of Nostalgia, just started on a Challenger II from Airfix in

1:35(!) - why is it that the Brits seem to be the only one not accepting this is the universal scale for ground vehicles?
Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

I'm prepping to retire and move in a couple years, so I'm purposely not building anything...starting to pack up my stash of kits...and it's far bigger than I'd thought...

Reply to
Rufus

Now I'm mainly an aircraft modeller, and I prefere 1:32 scale. Only Airfix makes cars (Civilian ones) in that scale, military vehicles seems to be in

1:35 everywhere else, and even military helicopters is beginning to be in 1:35 to match the vehicles. Strangely enough Airfix does not make any airplane kits in 1:32!

Also one wonders 1;:24, 1:48, 1:72 and 1:96 makes sense if you are yoeds to inches and 1:24, 1:50, 1:75 an 1:100 would make sense for metric users. Why then are many aircraft in 1:32 instead of 1:36 that would fit the "Inch" marked? Is it because many photocopiers can enlarge a 1:48 scale drawing to

1:32 but not 1:36?

Not everything makes sence, and perhaps that's a good thing.

Claus

"Juergen Nieveler" skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@nieveler.org...

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

Speaking of Nostalgia, just started on a Challenger II from Airfix in

1:35(!) - why is it that the Brits seem to be the only one not accepting this is the universal scale for ground vehicles?
Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

it got taken over by pretty unsavory characters, about 15 years ago, I left for various web-based forums. Glad to hear it is back- a one-stop forum f or modeling!

Rec.models.scale has its moments. I only rediscovered it last year. Juergen, Airfix at present is content to release other companies' kits in 1 /35th scale notably Trumpeter's second incarnation of their Challenger 2 ki t, but oddly chose not to include the ROMOR armor parts seen on vehicles in combat zones (Trumpeter's most recent version with bar armor is better). A irfix sometimes reissues their 1/32nd military kits from the early 70's, an d recently started offering all-new 1/48th scale vehicle kits. Claus, 1/32nd scale actually makes an excellent scale in English units, as

3/8ths of an inch equals one foot in that scale, and standard rulers are di vided into eighths of an inch. 1/36th has rarely been used, except during W orld War 2, when thousands of metal recognition models were manufactured to train soldiers. Postwar, thousands were sold by the same companies as chil dren's toys. These may have inspired Monogram in the 1950's to offer milita ry kits in 1/35th scale, as 1/36th may have been too "English" for internat ional consumers. And of course, in 1/35th scale, a 5'10" man is exactly two inches tall.
Reply to
fawsid

Actually, there WERE a couple of kits done by Pyro (an American company) of civilian cars in 1:32, including a '36 Ford, a 40 Ford coupe and a '53 Che vy Fasback. They weren't great, but couple be made into passable models. Th e '40 Ford did look nice as a staff car against a 1:32 American Fighter air craft of the period, for example.

Regards, John Braungart

Reply to
The Old Man

of civilian cars in 1:32, including a '36 Ford, a 40 Ford coupe and a '53 C hevy Fasback. They weren't great, but couple be made into passable models. The '40 Ford did look nice as a staff car against a 1:32 American Fighter a ircraft of the period, for example.

I picked up a '34 Plymouth Roadster in the Pyro series about 4 years back. I was going to send it on to Ed but I never got around to it. I did send him one of Moebius' Hornets for Christmas one year but those are 1/25th sca le. I have no idea how far he got with it before he left this plane.

Bill Banaszak, aka Mad Modeller

Reply to
Mad Modeller