Anybody doing EDM electrode design for molds in Solidworks ?

Using Cadkey 19 now , with 21.5 as an option. Thinking about switching to Solidworks. I just do EDM electrode design, from surfaced mold parting line files. I wonder if I would be just switching from one bug filled software to another one ?

Thanks

Zig

Reply to
Zig

I'd like to know more about this topic, your problems, needs and wishes (e-mail me please) I was employed 5 years at Charmilles Technologies, located 5 mins. by foot from here... Still trying to convince them to put some money in "automatic" die-sinking electrode design tools...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

For EDM design, SW is sometimes brilliant and sometimes kind of frustrating. When its brilliant, I'm done a complex EDM model in literally minutes. At the other extreme, it might take a few hours, but overall for complex parts, it should be a huge improvement over Cadkey.

The area where SW is least suited for this type of design is accounting for spark gap and orbit. Fortunately we have decent CNC software that can handle this.

-g-

Zig wrote:

Reply to
gopher

You're correct in the bug filled comment. Although, I'd guess SWX is still leaps and bounds ahead of Cadkey now. I'm a Cadkey convert from back in 94-95. I switched to SWX and never looked back. I'd say the only problem you'll have with trode design in SWX will be in offsetting your spark gap. Depending on the complexity of the surfaces, it can be frustrating at times.

M.T.

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt