New SolidWorks Advanced Modeling Demo

New advanced modeling demonstration for Consumer Product Design at:

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

very good, we'll keep you on a while longer ;o)

3 questions-

A.can you be explicit where you place a control point on the UV's for the triad as you picked a place to pull the crease? i.e can it be at

25% along a curve or perhaps 5mm from an edge or is it only visual.. Obviously I haven't played with this but it still looks like you might get something a bit in determinant/wavy/billowing unless you kept the number of points and your splines/reference geometry simple ( I think I had some concern about this last release with the boat demo)

B.is the curvature comb auto smoothing still in development?

C.will there be a tube tunnel included in the new realview lighting?

Reply to
neilscad

Mark,

Nicely done stuff! It is useful for me to see how other people work.

I have to admit I got burned badly in 2005 using internal spline handles where a handle would flip position occasionally, changing about 30 degrees. A customer got hold of the SW file and didn't even look at the part before saving it as an STL. Everything still rebuilt fine, but there was a big bulge on the side of a $3000 rapid prototype. Needless to say, I'm still a little gunshy with internal spline handles.

That razor is a popular part, I used it 4 years ago for some training material I developed.

An earlier version razor I borrowed from Paul Adams back in 97 or 98 was done completely in solids.

The new tools really are very slick, and now the dilemma is often "which tool that does the job do I pick" instead of "how do I work around this shape with tools that don't really do it".

Thanks again for sharing this.

Reply to
matt

Nice tut's, Mark!

My only suggestion is with the color/specularity of the surface used, dark gray, with the curves, it was difficult to see what you are talking about. A lighter color with specularity would have made it easier to see, imho.

Oh,.. using split part,... I still think that is one of the most dangerous features for sharing bodies you guys have created!

..

Reply to
zxys

also...now the realview stuff is here.. what about the ABC/123 grid overlay for the 3d window, and the making use of the Rx recording feature, that was suggested a while ago both of these would seem trivial progamming but very useful cant you squeeze em in? (also it gives the new eye candy enhancements some obvious worth if you are a graphics sceptic)

- you guys always seem to miss doing just that little bit more that makes it great rather than ok and wait till next release... :o(

Reply to
neilscad

You can place the control point at any point along the control curve, but we don't have the provision for specifying it dimensionally. You can, however, snap to external SW sketch geometry. Also there are the Thumbwheel and numerical controls in the PM for the control points along the curve. Currently you can not "slide" the control point along the curve, but rather it become a, if you will, a spline point on the curve. This is something we're looking into. The work around is to create a new point next to the existing and then delete the old point.

Yes, in general for NURBS, simpler almost always equates to a more fair face or surface. In otherwords, the more curves (internal) that define your surface the more constrains that are evaluated by the surface and, in most cases, introduces more ripples and less fairness to the surface overall.

Not quite sure what you are referring to here? Are you referring to the show curvature display or the actual smoothness of the spline curve? We put back in the outer curve of our show curvature (in system options) in SP2 of 2007 (after it was remove in SP0) We did this initially because there is an inflection problem in the combs that conflicts with the outer comb after we had complaints. We are hoping to improve our show curvature but nothing in the immediate future. On

2D and 3D sketch splines we have made an improvement on them that when you pull asymmetrically on the interim spline point that we don't break tangency (like in 2007) but keep it C2. Also in 2008, we took care of some annoying underlying problems with trimmed surface edges not maintaining curvature at the end points as well as converted geometry from those edges.

We don't have a tube tunnel but we do have a Light Strip RV scene (like the auto industry uses) in 2008 which is useful for evaluating surfaces.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Paul, I agree and have highlighted this in my SWW presentations as well as others, but....

We have finally re-written Split part for 2008 so that it is now "much less dangerous" in that you can now redefine the stock feature (master part) and pick a different body solution. You can additionally pick an entirely different master part file. This also applies for "Save Bodies". I would encourage you to take a look at 2008 Split part - while we still are in Beta/PR :-)

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Yeah, this is true for me too, especially in the role I have now. This video certainly shouldn't be taken as "the way" you do it, just one of the many ways you can do it.

Matt, what about fully defining the splines before you release the part? Abet, now that I think of it, back in SW05 I don't think you could fully define a spline - you can now.

That's funny, I didn't realize that it was done before. If I knew, I would have just come to you first... or gone up stairs and talked to Paul :-)

Good point, and one of that we need to do a better job on in our Docs. I'm thinking of something similar to the PP presentation that I gave that shows a comparitive between Loft, Sweep, Fill, Boundary and Freeform and the uses for each. Do you have something comparable in your Bible?

Reply to
mbiasotti

Yeah, Matt showed us this way back in 2002..

..

Reply to
zxys

Kewl, that re-write to add options to redefine the body is very important! I've seen some of my clients using split part and it just freaks me out!

..

Reply to
zxys

I've also made these videos downloadable at the following SW page:

look to the right-hand column "3 Part Consumer Product Modeling Demo"

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

More videos for Users with ADD*?

Tom

*Attention Deficit Disorder
Reply to
brewertr

No, the chapter on surfacing just covers the basics. In order to do the topic justice I would have needed a couple hundred pages and another month, neither of which I had. So I just went through a couple of examples and left it at that.

One thing I'm still looking for is some sort of a guide that shows exactly what all of those alignment options do in the boundary surface. Something that would give me the ability to pick one by using some method other than trying them all to see what they do. They might as well be called A, B, C.

Wow, Paul S - your memory is frightening. How do you remember stuff like that from so long ago?

Reply to
matt

Mark,

I remembered in the video that when creating the Freeform surface, you aligned the triad to a selected plane, but I didn't remember immediately how you did it. Later I went back and tried to do it myself. The function is not listed in the help, at least I couldn't find it there. It turns out to be on the RMB menu when you click on some part of the triad, which is a nifty little place to hide things. I assume that the Align To... and Align To Selection... options are really just the same things, just depending on what part of the triad is selected. It's a little confusing because the RMB Align To option overrides the Triad Orientation setting in the PropertyManager. Maybe it would be clearer if all of the triad alignment tools were in one place and obvious?

Another option like that that's hidden in the RMB and not documented in the Help is the "flip relation" option on a spline tangency, used when a spline goes tangent 180 degrees from the desired direction. The option is only available, as far as I can tell, by right clicking on the Tangent relation shown in the Existing Relations box when the spline is selected. You have to right click on the Tangent1 text. As you all say "that's not very discoverable".

Reply to
matt

Whoa! How long has that been available? Knowing that was there could have saved me countless hours of rebuilding sketches where the tangent splines flipped on their own after a change to the model.

Jerry Steiger

well its there in SW05 ;o) I think I have seen this written down somewhere but I cant remember where

Reply to
neilscad

Matt, the following is right out of our help file by searching on Triad Move

Selections To move the triad to a selection:

Right-click on the triad (anywhere except on the rotation rings) and choose Move to Selection.

Select an entity.

To align the center ball with a selection:

Right-click the center ball and select Align to.

Select an entity.

You can also align the center ball with a component origin or the assembly origin.

To align an arm or wing with a selection:

Right-click an arm or wing and choose Align with Selection.

Select an entity.

on the "flip relationship", I couldn't agree with you more. And we need to do something about it.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

actually I seem to remember this is how the explode assembly triad works so it isnt beyond a users intuition if you have ever used that... ;o)

Reply to
neilscad

Why would I look there for it, especially if I didn't know that it existed at all? I don't want to move it anyway, I want to align it. At least there should be a link to it in the Freeform help, and the interface should be fixed to put all of the align functions in one place. SW has the capability to do anything they want to, starting from a blank slate. Why would they choose to segment the help in that way?

By the way, two of the three people who said they would get in touch haven't. It's not a problem for me personally, but it seems symptomatic.

Reply to
matt

Interact with this

HTH