OT - Rapid Prototype Bureau recommendation - Los Angeles Area

Can anyone recommend a Rapid prototype bureau in the LA area.

I have a client who needs some parts ASAP - they are SLA parts , but one component needs to be hand finished and spray painted white to a high standard for a show, so the bureau needs in house finishing.

I have had a set built here and its all OK - just quicker to get them built there plus pay in dollars ;-)

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Jonathan, I've used Scicon Tech for over 5 years, and they have a variety of processes and material grades to choose from, and you would need to get them the complete specs, but I'll bet they can do the finishing to your specs.

Normal time for me to get "unfinished" small STL RP parts is several days, but cleaned up surfaces with paint would require a bit longer, depending...

Bo

Thanks Bo

Thanks for the personal recommendation - Looks like they can easily do the job and from Google Maps - not too far from my client .

If you have been using them for so long they must be more than a website and an old clapped out SLA machine which is unfortunately what some so called bureaus are - Thanks again

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Jonathan:

Not quite LA, but not too far away either. I have experience with Phoenix Analysis and Design Technologies.

They can do it and ship the final product to your client. Tell them I sent you, somebody there knows my name. I'd love to take on the project, but I'm just a so called bureau with a clapped out SLA machine. Wait, I haven't been able to grow the business to even buy the used clapped out machine. Someday my dreams will come true, then I'll be able to answer this post referring to my own business.

Regards,

Scott Wertel

swizzle

Yup, they try to keep up with the times in both newer RP machines and processes and the newer grades of RP materials.

They are large enough that they maintain sales and consulting offices around several So.Cal. Locations.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Thanks for the contact Scott.

Now you've embarrased me with my comment :-)

Why do you want to get into the rapid prototyping business - the deadlines are too tight (for my liking)and the clients are like me ! and it seems to halve in price every year. I suppose its all volume.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

I want to get into the RP business because that aspect of manufacturing is still in its infancy. The growth potential is outstanding. Yes, competition is tight and profits are slim, but RP is not going to be my ONLY business model. But being able to provide RP to my existing clientelle is a bonus. And filling a few other orders on the side... potential.

Besides, there are plenty of ways a good in-house programmer can minimize the cost of quoting, prepping, and initiating an RP build. It's just the final cleanup that requires manual labor.

,
Reply to
swizzle

I believe both of these are headquartered in San Diego, but they have local representatives and respond quickly to us in Oregon, so they ought to be able to do something for your client in LA.

Jerry Steiger

Perhaps the hardest part of breaking even with an RP machine, is getting enough business to pay for the machine BEFORE it becomes obsolete, and the competitors undercut your prices.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

That is true. The only real way to earn value on an RP machine is if you plan on using it for your own business, then farm out any unused time with bureau services. That's my plan anyway. There are quite few things I want to us RP for on my own and I also plan on using it to aid the local elementary through high schools by "building" cool things for them. I can get a ROI on a new machine before it becomes obsolete if I can write off a certain portion of it.

--Scott

Reply to
swizzle

Scott - here is a link to a site that will be of great help if you are interested in doing anything with design education in schools. There is alot of stuff on it and worth browsing around, although it is not the easiest to browse around. Its one of the best centres in the UK for this sort of thing. I have to admit an interest - my far more talented better half Alison is one of designers/managers there. The're part of the local Cornwall County Council and started out in the CAM area about 13years ago with 15 simple Roland desktop 2d hobby milling machines that were rented out to schools and it has really developed from there - although they don't stock many machines now , as schools have tended to buy their own after they get confident.

Alison has spent 10 years doing these packs and they used to be all open on the net but now they sell them world wide to education authorities - I believe New York State bought a load of their curriculum packs for their design education curriculum planning.

David Prest is well know internationally for design education and if anyone in your education field wants to call him he is always willing to chat away..

Personanly I think design education brings out the best in people - they not trying to make everyone designers, but rather problem solvers and imagination users, because in the future world, we will have to be very very discerning citizens and not live our lives by quantity but rather quality, and being able to judge what is good design in all fields and what is just mediocre junk will be important.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

Thanks for the links. I'll have to find some time to thoroughly browse through them. The second link with the pdf downloads looks especially interesting.

--Scott

Reply to
swizzle