SolidWorks Hot Air Vent...

For some reason I am really annoyed today and I feel the need to share some frustrations. So.... here goes! expect many issues with spelling and grammer!

We recently did the move to SW 2008 and so far we haven't had any major show stopping events (This is great). After using it for more than a week I've grown to really like it and find that we are finally getting close to a version that is getting rid of a lot of the daily annoyances while using the software from early versions.

Examples of areas that have really improved\new since SW 97:

- Multi-body parts

- Mirrored parts

- ability to change the plane of a hole-wizard hole

- actually undoing stuff

- Saying "Don't show this dialog box again" options for advanced users

- SW Bill of Materials

- ability to select circular face or edge for a circular pattern (wow, this is small but great!)

- ability to open parts and actually update custom properties from the bill of materials.

- screen capture button (that I can't use and I'll explain why below)

So, this is all great stuff to finally see and I was thinking to myself.... WOW, SW has come a long way in getting rid of the annoyances in my daily routine.....

UNTIL YESTERDAY AND THIS MORNING....... reality hit me and I realized that it still has a LONG WAY to go I guess.

I was finishing up a job and finalizing drawings when it came time to create the bill of materials. No big deal, we have a standard template we use and create it with the new SW b.o.m. option. So I inserted a bill and all was fine.... and then I went to auto-size a column a-la excel style and..... IT CRASHES! ok, no big deal again... I'm already in the habit of saving after about every 3 or 4 things I do so I didn't loose much work. (Do I have to mention again that I've used SW for a long time?)

So, anyways, to make a long vent even longer.... I normally go and start doing some investigative work myself to find the root of the problem..... or hopefully anyways. And if there is a work around (like NEVER AUTO-SIZING AGAIN) just ignore the issue and continue trying to get my daily work done. This is what I would normally do. But yesterday I thought I would turn a new leaf, be proactive, and try the SW RX problem capture tool. Without any further ado, I made the video capture and everything of the AUTO-SIZING column problem( repeated steps included) and sent it in to my var tech support (I even included the "template" bill file that it was created from). There.... my job is done.... I did my part in trying to improve the product one step at a time.

Then this morning I get a response back saying that they can't recreate the problem on their end. He said that he was able to insert and create the bill just fine. ok..... that's great.....so can I. THE PROBLEM IS THE AUTO-SIZE OF THE COLUMN! I've included the steps to recreate the issue in the rx file. So is the file not read by tech support? what's the deal? I did my part I thought.

So.... I went back after that response and did what I would have normally done. Do the investigative work myself. I tried a few things and then I thought to NOT use our template that we've been using, but the standard template out of the box install. Ok, this one doesn't crash when I auto-size columns. So I guessed that out template somehow became corrupt going to the new version. So I recreated it from scratch and resaved a new template. What do you know... it works now! Problem solved! but is it? My problem is solved for now. But what about root cause?? Why did our template become corrupt? If I don't send in the issue won't others have it as well?? Well it would seem by sending in the rx file would help to solve issues but in this specific case I guess it didn't help. Since I now found a workaround for my problem I'm sure the issue on tech-supports end stops right there as well.

TIP: if you have BOM crashing issues in 2008 - recreate your templates from scratch I guess and hope that solves it for you as well.

Now, back to the origin of what I started talking about as far as ridding of annoyances. OR SO I THOUGHT

I got a request for some jpg's of a huge machine job we did recently. Now I thought to myself again, this assembly is a HUGE assembly and takes almost

20 minutes to open fully resolved on a newer dell-490 workstation. No big deal again I thought, I'll just open it in view only mode and take some screen shots of what I need pics of.

Well guess what! I can't take screen shots because the background was saved in some funky new background and I need the "plain white" background for the customer so information is clear. SW won't even let me change the background color in "view only" mode to plain white. GREAT!!! ok, no big deal again, I'll just open in lightweight mode to open it faster. NOPE! Once it came up it needed to be resolved because lightweight mode screwed up the way certain sub-assembly configs were displayed. Once again, now I have no choice but to open it up fully resolved just to change the background color and get some pictures with screenshots.

So I guess I take it back.... I guess we do have a LONG way to go before a lot of daily annoyances are gone. And I have no idea what all this means... I'm just annoyed right now and I guess I'll get back to work.

Some of my "Must Haves for SW 2009" list. STABILITY CHANGE BACKGROUND COLOR WHEN JUST VIEWING DEFAULT BACKGROUND OPTIONS FOR SCREEN SNAPSHOT (PLAIN WHITE)

oh, and while we are at it....... these too! dual unit display when in the measuring tool (Most would upgrade to SW

2009 just for this) Slot command controlled by hole wizard. Utilize multiple processors when ever possible.

Finally done, Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

There was a Beta issue that I ran into whereby double-clicking in the top cell of a SW BOM would crash out SW. But only if I had my 3D controller active. Maybe a clue?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

OK, here comes my dumb question.

What is a "3D controller"?

Thanks - Bo

Reply to
Bo

We don't use space balls if that's what you are referring to. No, this seems to be from the .sldbomtbt template we were always using. As soon as I made it from scratch in

2008 and then resaved to a new .sldbomtbt template, everything seemed to work fine. No more repeatable crashes.

But thanks for your input Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

Don, a DQH

Given the problems that can occur when a template or SWks internal file gets corrupted or the wrong version or goes missing, why can't there be an application that just goes and checks to see if every single damn one of those files is there, any "extras", the right version, and not "MALFORMED"?

We are 6 decades into the "computer" and there is tons of unused horsepower at the disposal of users who have the right utility program to query our applications and data files to see if they are "correct".

Why should users be forced to use manual techniques of elimination to attempt to debug our applications? We pay through the nose for a highly technical application with maybe thousands of files, but we do not have a user's version of a debugging tool (which I am dead certain SolidWorks uses internally).

We users deserve to have some elemental debugging tools to prevent us spending countless hours trying to find out what is wrong that a simple tool could tell after a few minutes of scanning files.

  1. Am I totally flat ass wrong on this?

  1. Am I stupidly naive in thinking error detection tools would save time?

  2. Is it asking too much to have a tool that tells us if every SolidWorks file is there and where it should be (& where it is if it is wrongly placed)?

  1. Given that corrupted or missing files can cause SolidWorks to crash, it would seem probable that a utility could read a set of files and tell whether any common errors exist that might or would cause a crash or failure to open, or again am I off in left field again?

It would seem like such a SWks Debug Utility could be in the update list with every SolidWorks Service Pack release. Gut feel tells me it would save users & VARs a bunch of time.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to submit your bug. I'm sure that there is a problem there with the BOM, your VAR just wasn't able to re-produce. Don't feel bad, I'm in the same building with Development and I get the same response all the time or the big NR, but we eventually get it captured, so don't give up. If you want you can send it to me at snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com can I'll submit it.

As for your plain white background, It's t there, it you're just not aware of where it is. There is a little transparent floating view/ display toolbar at the top of your sceen. If you click on the 2nd icon from the right that looks like a gold ball with a checker floor and pull down, you will see a choice "Plain White" as the second choice from the top of the list. This will give you want you want I believe.

Kind Regards

Mark Biasotti Product Management SolidWorks Corporation

Reply to
mbiasotti

Oh, and BTW, I hope when you're doing screen shots, you're not doing "Print screen" key on your keyboard but using View>Screen capture>image capture. Just mention it because a lot of users are not aware of it. Once you use it, you'll see the benefit of it over Print Screen.

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Okay, after a re-read of your post, I see that you are aware of it, but its worth mentioning for others that might not be aware of it.

I'll give you guys a little inside on it. Ron Bates, our Manager of Graphics team wrote it out of personal frustration because he does so much of this kind of stuff with his involvement with PW, RealView and appearances in general, he was tired of post-processing the image in PhotoShop or Corral just to get rid of the SW interface. So, I guess it was a late night more than a year ago that he just implemented it. It wasn't a planned project, but we all like it so much that it was a no-brainer and went with it. I use it constantly in the work that I do and it is a real time saver.

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

Yeah, I discovered on my own and really like it. I am always getting parts that are not suitable for molding and I have to have an easy way to flag the problem areas. It's great for that sort of thing.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

Thanks Mark for that bit of insider info. That's the kind of stuff that makes some of this make a bit more sense. I always enjoy hearing the "why" of a feature.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Hey Mark,

Always good to see you read and respond to some of the posts here. And yes, I am aware of the new screen shot tool but there's a catch with it (unless I just can't figure it out). If I open a very large assembly in "view only" or newly called "quick view" mode in 2008, the file uses the last saved background and the icon is greyed out in the floating toolbar to change it back to plain white. This was the annoying thing. I needed to fully open the large assembly just to take screen shots....? Was I missing something or is this still the case? Oh well. But thanks again for your response nontheless.

I hope what I wrote initially wasn't taken too off base, I was just venting some frustrations at the time. In general, I am very happy with SW and am glad to see every release is getting better and ridding daily annoyances.

oh, and I was serious about the dual units (english and Metric specifically) in the measuring tool.... can you push that through in the 2009 release! just kindding! no, seriously...... see what you can do.

thanks again, Don Van Zile Norgren Automotive (CSWP) just fyi

Reply to
dvanzile3

Fascinating imagery. But I think you're right: we could use this. Unfortunately, such a tool might be perceived as an admission that files are getting correpted. Even though such correption could be due to files system errors as much as mishandling by the application in question. But then, AutoCAD has had such a tool for as far back as I can remembere.

As much as I would like to have the tool to fix these problems, I think I would prefer that the real problem be fixed. Files should not be getting corrupted. But I just told meyself that it may not all be SW's fault.

I think I'd liek to take your idea one step further. This tool, if it exists in an automated form, should always run when things like templates are used. We don't always notice when a template is defective, and hours of work can be lost before the problem is detected.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I'll second that. Actually, I've submitted enhancement requests for this at least once. This would be a huge help for those of us who work in a mixed units environment. While you're at it, go ahead and make dual units pervasive. Put 'em in the mass properties, on the other side of the scales that we got in 2008, etc.

And thanks for stopping by. It's always good to get the straight dope (what a twisted idiom).

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I needed to fully open the large assembly just to

Don, Change the background color using quick view mode does work, the problem with your senario is that you're opening a 2007 assembly in

2008 and in order for quick view to work, it needs to be a 2008 file - reason being is that the 2008 display state needs to be saved in order to take advantage of this situation. If the large assembly that you're trying to view only, is opened up in 2008 and saved (or perhaps using the conversion wizard on it first) then opening up the 2008 version and using the quick view works.

I don't believe that 2007 allowed you to change the background color when "view only" is used. How would you do this in 2007? - or are you saying that 2008 inserted a new background when the 2007 version was saved with a white background?

regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

I've had problems in 2008 because existing templates had blocks in the sheet format that were not exploded. I would not be able to save files that had these sheet formats until I figured I needed to eliminate the blocks by exploding them.

ok here's the run down.... I can see there is a bit of miscommunication on my part.

I've always had the part loaded in the past for screen shots and always changed the background manually to plain white so it was never an issue.

Now, just the other day, I figured I'd save a lot time with this large assembly by not actually opening it fully resolved but in "view only" or now "quick view" mode. Again, I've never actually done this before but I figured I could change the background color to plain white if it wasn't already, even if it was in view only mode. And as it turns out, once the quick view mode opened up, I couldn't select the scene flyout in the floating toolbar becasue it was greyed out.

But you are right with the large assembly not being fully saved to

2008 format. However, I just tried a part file, and an assembly file that everything was created in 2008 version. And once again, once opened in quick view mode, the scene flyout manager from the floating toolbar is greyed out and I can't change the background color in this mode.

Tried it on sp0 and sp0.1 and still can't. what is going on here?

Now correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, "quick-view" will still work for just view only for 2007 files but you won't have the capability of "selective" component loading functionaltiy unitl you save it to 2008. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks, Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

Yes, that is correct, but not fully. In order to use the full function of quick view, it needs to be 2008, bu if it's 2008, you'll be able to selectively open some or all in "lightweight". Added benefit is that you can have selectively opened quick view with mates (i.e. if you have crank shown but a shaft not loaded, it will still be concentrically mated.) I understand it's a pain for you because it's

2007 data, but when you have 2008 data the benefits are clear.

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

wrote

Mark,

Where exactly is that button? - which tool bar? Is it only in 2008?

John H

Reply to
John H