SolidWorks SP3 Early Visibility

Is anyone using SolidWorks SP3 Early Visibility? It's been out since the

14 April, I haven't seen any postings -- should I be worried?

John Layne Solid Engineering Ltd

Reply to
John Layne

I guess everyone's too busy with 06 beta.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Reply to
haulin79

I have been using it a little. I haven't noticed any "new" issues with it. It's been working fine.

"John Layne" 14 April, I haven't seen any postings -- should I be worried?

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

I've been playing with it for a few days now and no hiccups - ie read crashes. Though I'm still getting a few same old problems that still do not seem to be fixed.

Some dims and their arrows etc remain visible, distort and get rather large when zooming in and orbiting around. Just last night, using hole wizard, I was unable to locate points at centre of other holes (component was sheet metal).

Reply to
Neville Williams

It's working for me...

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I started having problems with referencing hole centers starting with SP1.1 if I remember correctly. I saw this when trying to line up taps on a plate to counterbores from several other blocks while editing in an assm. Holding down the SHIFT key while trying to drop the point will allow it to ref. the hole center, but only if SolidWorks can "see" the edge your trying to reference (i.e. you'd still have to be able to see it if everything wasn't transparent). Otherwise I have to resort to HLV mode so my "allow selection of hidden edges in wireframe and HLV mode" setting will allow me to reference the hole centers. I reported this to my VAR (who I know passed it on to SW Corp., so no bashing my VAR) and to a SW Territory Tech Manager when I first noticed it and to my knowledge it was never issued a SPR#. If anyone has noticed the same change in how HoleWizard is able to ref hole centers in other parts (with out having to have "allow selection of hidden edges in HLR and Shaded modes" checked", please report it.

HoleWizard has always been able to reference the edges of other holes regardless of the settings under "Tools-Options-Display/Selection-Selection of Hidden Edges". Based on the little bit of feed back I got I think SW thinks they fixed an inconsistency in how the software references edges (holewizard could do things that you couldn't do in other areas of the program with the same edge settings).

I design progressive stamping dies and I run into this as a problem quite often. I'll have a dozen or more details on a sub-plate that I need to add the taps related to all the counterbores in the other details. Hole series at the assm level isn't an option because it will not add the CB's to multiple parts. The assm's can also become quite busy and allowing selection in HLR and Shaded modes is not workable, and switching to HLV mode isn't always much better.

It's bothered me enough that I've gone back to SP0 where it still works like it always has. Haven't loaded beta 06 yet to see how it works there yet.

Rory

Neville Williams wrote:

Reply to
Rory

Are the dimensions that remain visible on a part in a sub assembly?

If so try this workaround:-

Open the sub assembly that contains the part with the dimensions showing. Left click the annotations folder Select details Remove the check mark from the last option "Use assembly setting for all components".

Has worked here with dimensions that remained visible.

AC

To reply via email remove all numbers from address

Reply to
AC

I thought this was something to do with video card but have seen it on another machine with Wildcat card. Mine has a Quadro xgl 780 I've tried the "Use assembly" setting with no effect. Seems to be screwed ever since the 'highlight components from graphics view' muck up.

Reply to
Neville Williams

I seem to remember it even before that. I would be working away on an assembly (not always sheet metal) and the ability to reference a hole centre while in the hole wizard would just go out the window. The only way I could get it to work again was to shut every thing down in solidworks and restart the program! Somewhat like some keyboard shortcuts winking out for apparent reason.

If this sort of basic functionality gets any worse I could start getting really upset.

Reply to
Neville Williams

Yep... this has 'bugged' me for years. Yesterday I noticed that just one off my short cuts stopped working, others work fine. This is strange.

Is it still a problem in 2005 Nev?

...all things considered, it's still by far the best way to design machines!

Reply to
Cam J

2005 SP3 EV I might get a bit more time to figure things out at home - contract just finished. Nah - bugger it

- I'm going to work on the finishing the project kayak.

Reply to
Neville Williams

It may be a different issue but so far turning off the "use assembly setting for all components" option has worked on all the assemblies that we have had problems with. We were also seeing it on different spec machines so I ruled out video card and drivers.

Just to be sure, did you open each sub assembly and turn it off there as well?

At any rate I hope you find a fix as I know how frustrating it is.

AC

To reply via email remove all numbers from address

Reply to
AC

Will try when next in front of SWX I'm having a break from all this right now.

Cheers

Reply to
Neville Williams