suggestions for a gear design plugin

Wondering if there are any good gear design plugins. I am student designing a transfercase for a 10hp vehicle and need something to help me design the tooth geometry with set center to center distances and ballpark ratios. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
rkremser

I can think of just a couple, though neither are free

& a link to their online help for spur gearing
the 2d spur gear module is only $24 US. For $249 US the full license gives you lifetime upgrades and the plug-in to SolidWorks. Only the 2d profiles are accurate (I think, only played with simple gear design) for gear cutting the 3d models are only representative of size etc.

Will generate accurate involute curves and SolidWorks 3d models, but doesn't help with designing for speed and transferred power etc.

John Layne

John Layne

If getting the Design software is not in your budget, an alternative would be to borrow a book for three weeks from your Library, at no expense, called "Machinerys Hand Book". You will find every minute detail that you need to know about Gear Tooth Geometry in this book. This is, and has been, the "Bible" for Engineers and Machine Designers for several generations in the Tool & Die Industry. It is quite expensive to purchase, however.

G. De Angelis De Angelis Tool Valhalla Grafix

rkremser wrote:

Reply to
G. De Angelis

Ditto :)

I have an old 23 hardback edition (given to me on leaving a company 16 years ago) on my desk and the 26 edtion on CD.

John Layne

John Layne

Are you involved in Mini Baja or a similar student competition? If so, contact the vendors and offer to put a sticker on your vehicle and feature about how you used their software to solve a problem on your team website. Student competitions are good public relations vehicles. You might even get a small cash donation - if you ask.

Gett> Wondering if there are any good gear design plugins. I am student designing

Reply to
jimsym