The CAD Multi-Core Processor Problem

If you think that improvements are possible with "radical changes", design them, patent them, get some venture capital and put AMD and Intel out of business.

Reply to
J. Clarke

True, my 1980's-vintage HP 54111D digital scope uses four 250 MSamples/Sec A/D converters with analog Sample/Holds operating sequentially to capture 1 GSa/S. The TI flash A/Ds I used in the radio were rated to ~800 MSa/S.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Finally, something everyone can agree on.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I posted to this thread jb made beacuse it looked like in intelligent conversation. Right away I get this clark weirdo going off on me in an effort to make himself look intelligent. It was hard not to go off on him. Then mr terrell gets into it, posting better content than clark. Obviously clark is an idiot, and terrell knows things.... So I tried to shift the conversation away from this clark dumbass towards terrel. but.... lets be honest....

This was from terrels first reply to me... "Before you spout off, the CPU in the KU band voice/video/data uplink for the space station was one of mine."

The space station?

These guys aren't conversing, their showing you how smart they are.

good for them, im impressed.

Reply to
vinny

How else do you think we can establish our tech creds here, to be heard above the high noise level? We had to prove ourselves to the project managers to be invited into programs like that, or the satellite and FAA air traffic control upgrades I worked on.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Sorry, I thought I was conversing with someone neurotypical. This is the kind of crap that my Asperger's ex GF would come up with when I asked her if she was hungry--"You're asking me that because you want to ". Nobody here is pointing out your errors because they want to make themselves look intelligent. They're pointing out your errors because they are errors.

Oh, and pointing out errors in your posts is not "going off on you".

In any case, it's clear that you are just going to behave offensively toward anyone who tries to enlighten you, so, .

Reply to
J. Clarke

dood, nothing personal, but a lot of people here have done awesome things. so what. Credentials mean diddly to me. I worked at the honeywell plant in florida that made half the space shuttle, and Iv'e worked in a one man shop that had one machine that bored holes. The one man shop guy was a super smart badass, but MOST of those collage grads from honeywell were total idiots.

When you yell what you know over and over, it's all your ears hear. Ears don't do two way, considering how close your mouth is to your ears.

You guys are so quick to give us your specs. Most toolmakers in here can't give you their specs, they are too diverse. Obviously most of the folks in this thread aren't toolmakers, or even machinists, or you guys would have enough humility to know not to tell us what you know. It doesn't impress us at all. So he worked on the space station....so? Are you telling me the best minds in America are working on that space station? I got news for you guys, the best minds are in private industry, making crap you clowns use to wipe your asses and keeping your woofies from bleeding all over the place. Soon private industry will leave that silly space station behind.

We have to pass the same tests to get hired at top companies. I bet private industry beats china to the moon hands down.

Toolmaker law #1 ...Man with no humility is man with no diverse experience.

You guys can't even get passed rule #1. jeesh.

Reply to
vinny

I've been in academic research, worked for several very innovative startups like Segway, and managed government-work electronics labs, plus small experimental machine shops. Your statement is envious BS, the best minds follow the best opportunities, public or private, unfortunately leaving me behind because I couldn't relocate too far away to care for elderly parents.

Yes, there is a Ford-vs-Chevy disagreement between "pure" and "applied", or industrial, research with both dismissing the other as eggheads or sellouts, and being the guy who has to firm up ideas and make them actually work I know that machinists despise both of them, with substantial justification. The less talented, insecure ones resented me because I could do their jobs quite well but they didn't have the slightest clue how to do mine.

Often in high tech the support people who don't understand the science are insecure and difficult. I've encountered that as high up as the IT department whose people knew software but nothing of electronic hardware. They were very defensive around senior lab techs who knew both.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Read your own words please. The "best" minds follow the best opportunities (and you are definitely one of our best minds from what I just read). But... YOU did not follow the best opportunity? You said so. For reasons that don't matter, everyone has a personal story.

Bottom line is people "do not always" follow the best opportunities. That doesn't mean they aren't badasses at what they do. It just means people care about different things.

As far as envious...i dont think so. Last stupid thing I want to do for a living is work project to project, driving all over kingdom come to work here and there.

Reply to
vinny

"dood, nothing personal, but a lot of people here have done awesome things"

Still waiting for you to learn what awesome drilling is in a CADCAM program is. You still can't grasp why Mastercam's Change At Point user interface sucks so badly because you have no idea what makes a good CADCAM program.

***** You know how hard it is to type laughing so hard?

I don't care how mastercam drills a hole. How many times do I have to say if drilling holes was my life...id change it. I got some side work running bobcam. I'll let ya know how it drills holes.

Jeesh man, learn how to use the system you got! use templates, or write some macros, or attach info to tools, or who knows, but damn FIGURE IT OUT! Programming a hole isn't rocket science! Run your crap thru solidworks, have solidworks group your holes. Who knows, but damn, dont just bitch, figure it out. Considering how cam systems fall short all the time for you, learn vb. They all support it.

Reply to
vinny

Actually we discussed our backgrounds and our shop's capabilities here several years ago, in RECreational.crafts.metalworking. Often the group's attitude has been to help those with no or little metalworking equipment or training and share experiences and solutions with similar antiques like my 1965 lathe. You are the arrogant one who projects your flaws onto others.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

-Yet another lame post with no content. Nothing worth responding to.

-Sorry.

I wonder what Vinny's resume looks like.

Way back in grade school I was taught that however much you may know, it doesn't gain you much unless you learn to communicate it clearly. That's why even the kids who planned to be auto mechanics had to write essays, and I still practice them here.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Your not full of yourself by any chance?

Reply to
vinny

Easy to say, when you've never had any. Starting a reply with 'dood' shows everyone that you are useless.

Then you must have fit right in at Honeywell.

Yawn. It lets others have an idea of what level you comprehend. otherwise, it's just whining and ranting like you're doing.

Sounds like sour grapes.

Your rant would make a better impression, if you weren't so illiterate.

Are you claiming that NASA designed the equipment we supplied? You'd be surprised to learn that the only deviation from our base design was to replace the standard 120/240 AC supply with a 48 VDC supply to run it off the station's battery bank. We supplied the modified hardware to Lockheed martin, who installed it in a standard NASA rack cage so the crew could plug it into existing station hardware. 'that silly space station' is the results of technology developed for NASA by private industry and the tech spin-offs have improved the quality of life for billions of people who don't spend 24/7/365.25 of their time with their head up their ass.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We built a dual channel, DSP based telemetry system that sampled to

90 MHz. The design could have gone higher, but customers wanted to be able to phase them into existing, analog based earth stations with 70 MHz IF. The 70 MHz IF output was regenerated with a D/A converter. That fed their wide band data recorders so the data could be analyzed at a later date. All of the signal processing was controlled with a fairly slow embedded controller, running custom 'C' based software. That was my last design group before I ended up on disability, and things were getting interesting. I had over 30 pages of 'D' sized schematics on my bench while I worked on the test procedures. :)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:INydnRT82d36HW7SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Ain't 'D's fun! Especially fun, when every print pins out to the edge, and each one refers to all 29 of the others!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks, Gunner. This group has an amazing assortment of overlapping skills sets. There is very little that we couldn't design & build, if we ignored all the trolls. :)

BTW, I got a computer working. Then couldn't access the newsgroups for over a week, thanks to a software error at Earthlink.

Thanks to those who offered to help, and for the box of parts. that came from one of the regulars. I still have to recover some email files to be able to thank him personally.

I found a place with decent prices on small quantities of low ESR electrolytics. They might be useful to you for repairing some machines:

There was no shipping charge, and they provided a tracking number. They were ordered on Monday and are supposed to get here on Thursday.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some pages were filled with FIR filters & DSP ICs. All had over 200 pins with cryptic assignments. I had to fight to get the D prints. The idiot in the print room refused to give me anything but A sheets. I had to collar a VP and send him to get them for me. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Snip...

Waaaaaaaa....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

??? Cad's been around for what...30+ years? Prolly a lot longer. Print room? WTF year was this?

1947
Reply to
vinny