Alternative source of scale corrugated metal sheeting

Just ran across this vendor while searching for alternatives (including DIY) to Campbell's corrugated metal material. They're Rusty Stumps Scale Models. Here's the stuff:

For years Campbell's has pretty much had a lock on this product. According to what I've read on-line, Rusty Stumps' stuff is just as good (the Campbell's material really is quite nice) but a lot cheaper. ($10.45 gets you 5-5x7" sheets.)

What really inspired this search is my ongoing quest for a way to make this stuff myself. Up to now the best attempts I found were done by such methods as gluing spaghetti together and using it as a mold to rub aluminum foil over. But today I found a clever new method that just might work:

This guy uses the straight-knurled handles of tools (pin vise in his case) as patterns. I tried it with a piece of regular tinfoil, using a small screwdriver handle, and it worked great. Now to get some of that "heavy-duty" foil.

Of course, what I'd really like to have is the machine that Campbell's (and probably Rusty too) uses to make this stuff. I'm guessing that it's probably a pretty simple rolling press, probably hand-cranked that sits on a bench top.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've got a 'mold' for O scale that I picked up on E-bay. Paid, IIRC, around $8 including shipping. Two UHMW (or similar) plastic blocks in black with the grooves cut. Insert foil, rub, cut to size. Does a decent job.

Similar to this:

Lobby Dosser

Not quite. This has been around for a while now, and I've used it.

It's made of a harder metal than the easily-damaged Campbell stuff, but similar in cost; I.E. expensive.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil