Another Bites The (UP) Dust

They are still trying to beat the trains here in Texas. Bruce

Man Dies In Collision With Train

A San Antonio man who tried to beat a train on the city's west side died Sunday when his car collided with that train.

The victim was identified as 28 year old Paul Mandujano.

Witnesses told police Mandujano tried to beat a train at Zarzamora and Merida streets.

"The guard rails were already down," said witness Rose Madrigal. "The car tried to go around over there on Merida and it stretched all the way over here to the Brady Intersection."

"I saw," recounted another witness, Xavier Rodriguez. "We were in the backyard in the garage and I heard a loud bang. Boom! And we came outside and saw the train dragging the car."

"It just sounded like thunder," added Madrigal. "You can't describe the noise. Something out of a movie, pretty much. Like when you see this in movies, this is what it looked like. But in real life, unfortunately, it was a fatality."

Investigators say Mandujano went around a car already stopped at the railroad crossing.

The train's engineer told police he saw Mandujano's car. The engineer blew the train's whistle for more than a quarter of a mile, but the car still attempted to cross the railroad crossing. The train dragged the car for half a mile before coming to a stop at Ceralvo and Hamilton streets.

Mandujano's relatives were overcome with grief as they arrived at the crash site.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Trains 1, Motor vehicle 0. I don't know WHAT it takes to get thru to these people that think they are indestructable......... He'll never do that again! Maybe his relatives should have taught him not to race trains to the grade crossing. THAT was a totally preventable accident. Hmmmmmmmm I seem to recall a movie where Mickey Rooney was racing a train with what looked like a midget racer. He beat it to the crossing by fractions of a second it seemed, of course that was with steam locomotives in the movie, so it "looked cooler". As I recall the engineer was going ballistic on the whistle. That only happens in the movies DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!! My mom's guy friend did that with me in the car when I was about 4, we raced the UP night mail train to a grade crossing at 102nd street in Portland Oregon. It was powered by steam, I don't recall what class it was as I was only 4 and scared out of my witts. After I told my mom what happened she showed him the door.

"Bruce Favinger" wrote in message news:eL2Xd.1819$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
John Franklin

[....]

This detail is especially, um, remarkable:

While it's tacky to make fun of a fatality, surely this deserves a Darwin Award for showing an extraordinarily determined level of stupidity.

-- Kizhe

Reply to
Lt. Kizhe Catson

"Lt. Kizhe Catson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

I was driving back from my oldest son's house one night a couple of years ago and saw the aftermath of a similar incident. This one ALMOST didn't happen. It looked like the train was able to slow enough that the car wasn't totally smashed. The front coupler on the engine must have been open. When it hit the car at a relatively low speed, the coupler fit neatly through the driver's window and around the door post, looking rather like a giant steel fist grasping that vertical member of the car. I never did see anything in the paper or on TV about this incident, so I guess there was no fatality. (No blood = no news!). This was on the CSX mainline north from Evansville, IN, around Ft. Branch. This track parallels US 41 all the way to Chicago.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

Regrettably, it seems he may have already passed forward his genetic contribution, making him Darwin ineligible.

Reply to
Steve Caple