Another Scratchbuilding Idea. Windows!

I was working on these model tugboats last night, looking for a way to do the bridge windows without having to add interior detail.

Aside: I'm always on the lookout for stuff in toy stores, junk shops and yard sales. In this case I found two great little wind-up tug boats that you'd use in the tub. Although toys, they are well proportioned and scale out to 75 ft. in N. Just right for pushing rail floats, or that laker I (eventually) plan to build. File off the chunky details, add a winch, bollards, tires, ladders, and presto! Two convincing model tugs. But I digress.

I'm always tearing stuff apart to see what's inside. I did that to my first train set and boy did I catch hell. My dad actually hid them away (they were more his than mine anyway) and I didn't find them till years later. Hornby-Triang no less. A Princess and several coaches . But once again, I digress.

So... I was pulling apart this old floppy disk, actually going after the metal guard which is aluminum (you can never have enough metal parts) when I noticed how shiny the disk material is. I think it's called mylar, but I'm too lazy to check.

Well, boy howdy, this stuff works great for windows. It's black, so you don't see inside, but it's got such high reflectivity that it acts like a mirror. You look at the bridge on these boats and you'd swear it was real glass, the way it catches the light.

So next I try it on an F-7 shell, and again, it looks great. Now, you might not want it in the windscreen or cab sides - that's a matter of preference - but you definitely want some in the portholes, and it's thin enough that you can do that. Shiny glass portholes - no need to paint the motor frame! Huzzah! Another place you can use it is on those solid pewter vehicles. Instead of painting the windows black, just glue in some of this stuff. I might use it on all my vehicles actually. Never did like the look of clear styrene.

I can see this stuff working all over the place. Haven't tried it on a building yet to see if wide expanses look good, and I can't vouch for it in the larger scales, but give it a try. You might like it. Best of all, it contains no PCBs !

Mac B. Vancouver BC

PS: Ship modelers take note. A lot of us use stick-on windows and portholes. Try this stuff instead. It's thin enough, and it has a better shine.

Reply to
polar bear

p.b. :

Well done with the tugboats. Would you be interested in writing up a little article for my Dollar Model Site?

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Perhaps after Christmas is out of the way. I'm awful busy at present (no pun intended). Do you meant the tug boats themselves, or the window glazing idea? The window glazing would be a dollar project, in fact it would be free. Everyone has a few old floppy disks lying around right?

The tugboats would be a different matter. They are not finished, and will probably be that way for some time. I'm a haphazard modeler - I have a dozen projects on the go, and it sometimes takes years to finish something. The other problem is, they cost more than a dollar (around

4 dollars each) and that was several years ago. I tend to accumulate stuff like this. If it looks good, and it's cheap, I buy it. Mostly it just ends up gathering dust.

Another problem is availability. I haven't seen those things anywhere else since I bought them. You might find them in a dollar store, but it's hit or miss. You want a starting point that everyone can find, right? Like a coffee can, stir sticks etc.

Adapting toys was an idea I got from an MR or RMC (can't remember) article from many years ago. It works best with vehicles in O and HO. Some of the matchbox and hotwheels stuff is close enough. Ditto the Corgi, Dinky stuff, although that's getting hard to find. I found a toy police boat that will (one day) make a great Coast Guard cutter or pilot boat. Again, emphasis on "once." I've never seen that toy again. For the ship modeler in N, keep an eye out for an old kit called the Shell Welder. I think it was a Frog kit, in 1-144, or 1:120. Z-scalers should look for the Roc Amador trawler, a Heller kit in 200 scale.

1-72nd model tanks are a good source of tires in N-scale. The little wheels on the Churchill (?) are the right size for truck tires, maybe car tires in HO. Lots of other interesting parts, like ventilators, hatches etc. that will work on ships, or industrial models.

I knew a lady in Toronto who was a set designer for a Canadian TV show that flopped, called the Star-Lost, about an Amish couple who find themselves on a huge space ship drifting towards certain doom. (you can't make this stuff up) She scoured Toronto hobby shops and bought every tank kit she could find to build that set. (Poor military modelers probably wondered what the hell happened!) Also, next time you watch the death star battle in the first Star Wars movie, pay close attention and see how many tank shells you can identify...heh.

Damn...look at the time! Gotta go to work!

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

Even better - go to the new National Air and Space Museum at Dulles and take a look at the mothership from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Lots of oddball stuff on that one. ;)

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Better yet, check out "Dark Star" and see if you can identify the plastic car manifolds.

Marvin the Paranoid Android was just reminiscent of Dark Star's existentially angst-ridden "smart" bomb.

Reply to
Steve Caple

All of which, oddly, reminds me of Mystery Science Theater.

Tom Servo:

Crow:
How many parts can YOU identify?

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

Actually, you could write it up yourself, if you want. It's not like I'm the first person to think of it. If I've learned one thing in life it's that "if you can imagine it, someone else has already done it."

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:00:05 GMT, Joe Ellis purred

They weren't Amish and the idiotic show was written by Harlen Ellison. The ships on it were redressed from the beautiful minis built by douglas Trunbull for "Silent Running"

Welcome to the wonderful world of special effects detailing. Model kits have some strange looking components which end up looking like something totally different. Assemble them differently and the result is not vaguely recognizable as what it was supposed to be. That means you have the ability to do that and make a film prop faster and cheaper then doing one from scratch. You would think with CG taking over that technique would be vanishing. However CG artists use the same technique when detailing their creations, the only difference is their "kit parts" are textures and shapes from other CG work.

cat

Reply to
cat

That's Harl_a_n, and it least it wasn't EnRon Hubbard, patron saint of Scamentology.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Well, no, not REAL Amish, but they were patterned after them, right down to the straw hats and suspenders. Once they got wherever they were going, you could easily picture them raising a nice barn for their cows.

Ahhhh.... so that's where they came from! I knew they looked familiar. Silent Running was a good film for it's day. Star Lost *could* have been good if they'd hammed it up, like say... Red Dwarf? The whole premise was a parody of earth, writ small. I'm amazed they didn't see the humor in it. Or maybe people just weren't ready for sci-fi comedy back then?

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:44:50 -0800, Steve Caple purred

Actually there is a reason for that spelling. Ask him and get an earful =^-^=

cat

Reply to
cat

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:37:35 -0800, polar bear purred

Sadly the show was dead serious and meant to be taken that way.

cat

Reply to
cat

EnRon eh?... hehehe...

patron saint of Scamentology and vinyl top repair.

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano