building Fine Scale Minature

Does anyone out there build kits from Fine Scale Miniature or are they just traded on e-bay? I created a street scene just like one of the views that come with the kit. If you build the kits, do you have pictures to share with the group?

-- Phil Anderson Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

Reply to
Arizona Rock & Mineral Co.

Great work, Phil! Maybe you could get a job working for George Sellios if you ever retire.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

BillsRREmpire

Thanks for the compliment Bill. The root of the word "working" is a "four" letter word now since I retired

it at

------------------------------

Reply to
Arizona Rock & Mineral Co.

Phil - Here's kinda a variation on the theme. I scratchbuilt a reasonable copy of Jefferies Point Stave and Heading Co. based on pictures of FSM's version of same I got off eBay and elsewhere. See:

CNJ999

Reply to
CNJ999

NICE!

fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Thank you for posting the link to your photo. That is rather nice work.

Rich Sullivan Albuquerque

Reply to
Rich Sullivan

Thanks for responding to my question about building a Fine Scale Miniature model. You rendition is an alternate solution to paying an inflated price of a kit on e-bay. I check e-bay now and then to see what's available out the in the market place and that very kit was for sale.Then I went to that Coast to Coast web site to see a bigger picture and seen that kit for several hundred dollars.At those prices, scratch building is the option I also take. Thanks for sharing your work as you did a very neat job.

Reply to
Arizona Rock & Mineral Co.

Thanks, Phil. Incidentally, my scratchbuilt version of Jefferies Point cost me about $35 (not including the detailing items I pulled out on my scrapbox), as compared to $350 or better for the same FSM kit on eBay.

CNJ999

Reply to
CNJ999

That's a great model - a nice balance (and perhaps a bit more balanced than GS's approach) between weathered and cared for, a really nicely done scene. Photographed outdoors (the background trees, and great lighting)?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Ah, but you don't get those really nice and unique castings that are in the FSM kits. Something similar to a lot of them may be available in plastic, white metal or brass castings, but a lot of them are one-of-a-kind for the specific FSM kit..

Reply to
Rick Jones

Indeed, the FSM casting are great but I've not seen any one that was so critical to a building that something else similar could not be substituted. Below is my scratch copy of the FSM Jewel Kit #1 barge-mounted pile driver, another model where FSM had a lot of casting for which I had to make substitutions. I think it came out pretty well.

CNJ999

Reply to
CNJ999

Very impressive, CNJ! Good looking model, and good photography as well.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Hi Rick, Your Barge Mounted Pile Driver is a great job that could be used as an inspiration for my own future Warf scene. I still pose the question to others. Do you build the kits or just trade them on e-bay? I have been tempted to get one of those John Allen Engine house/station kits even if it's several times more that the original price. I did scratch build the engine house from a picture from FSM's ad in RMC many years ago. It looks fairly close and am satisfied with the results, however, the station part is on an other layout I gave to my grandchildren. You can see the engine house on my John Allen page.

Arizona Rock & Mineral Co.

I have a number of the FSM kits and I *do* intend to build them eventually. No layout yet to put them on. Also have the Stone Roundhouse kit from SRM which I intend to build too. All kits are meant to be built. All brass is meant to be run. Other ideas to the contrary are nuts IMHO.

Reply to
Rick Jones