Confederate layouts?

I can find only one reference to a confederate or southern-themed train set on the web. Apparently it is out of stock. Any suggestions? Mag issues? I am new to this. Thanks!

Reply to
Rebel Yell

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:42:34 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Rebel Yell" instead replied:

Just a thought here but why not create a fictional railroad from around the turn of the 20th Century that reflects how you think things would be had the South won?

Endless possibilities.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

The only Confederate train set I recalling seeing in recent years was the g-scale model of a Civil War train. They made both Union and Confederate versions.

If by southern-themed you mean Confederate, you may not have much luck.

If you are looking for models of the railroads in the SE US (former Confederate states), there are lots of them available. I have engines and rolling stock for many of the railroads the have operated in the SE US.

I have engines for Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard Air Lines, Seaboard Systems, and Southern.

Passenger trains for Atlantic Coast Line and Southern.

Freight cars for Apalachicola Northern, Atlanta & St. Andrews Bay, Atlantic Coast Line, Central Of Georgia, Chattahoochee Industrial Railway, Florida East Coast, Galveston Wharves, RF&P, Seaboard, Seaboard Air Line, Seaboard Coast Line, Southern, St. Mary's Railroad, Tennessee Central, Terminal Railway Alabama State Docks, Texas & New Orleans, Texas Mexican Railway, Tropicana, Valdosta Southern Railroad Company, and West India Fruit & Steamship Co.

And there are many more available.

Reply to
Ken Rice

I assume you mean a layout set in the Southern States during the Civil War. Considering there's very little out there for even the Northern US at that time, this will be a tough one. Apparently there was a Tyco Civil War train set available at one time (judging from some eBay snippets, apparently one set US and one set CSA), but googling doesn't turn up much. I do remember some civil war era cars (both freight and passenger) which you could paint for CSA railroads if need be, but I couldn't find them in the current Walthers Catalog - I did find some Mantua 1860s 'wood' passenger cars, but even if they are accurate models of something (no guarentee there), that something is Northern Roads (PRR, NYC...NP[? - was that even around during the US Civil War?])

Hey, maybe you can just twist some brass rail into Sherman Neckties and leave it as that:

Sir Ray

Yep. Squadrons of slaves, guarded by drooling illiterates, dragging palace cars full of the planter elite (or plantar warts?) 10 or 15 miles until the next gauge change.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 02:07:00 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

Is that your world? What a shame.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

And on what ASSumption do you base that bit of idiocy?

fl@liner This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Steve, your village called. Their idiot is missing. Time to go home now.

In HO scale, Mantua used to make a model of The General, along with a few freight and passenger cars. The same models were also sold by Tyco. They are long out of production. Model Power owns the molds to make these and their is hope they will release them again with some improvements. Bachmann makes a locomotive that is a little too modern for the Civil War era, and some cars as well. Associated Hobby Manufacturers (AHM) and International Hobby Corporation (IHC) (( kind of the same company)) made some stuff years ago. Musket Miniatures makes Civil War military figures, and scenery items. There is a group on Yahoo called EarlyRail. Go to Yahoo, create an account, go to Groups, and enter the name. Good Luck.

Oh yeah, Steve, is that your picture on the cover of the National Enquirer?

Reply to
BillyDee53

The best place to start is a search of Amazon or some such book dealer. Over the years there have been at least a couple of books written specifically about modeling the Civil War era in HO. These will guide you in properly choosing and making appropriate modification to commercially available models.

Likewise, sometime around 2000 the NMRA's magazine had a series of articles regarding the accurate modeling of 1880-1900 (I think) rolling stock based on commonly available HO kits. While this is well past the Civil War era, the cars would be accurate representations of real ones, not simply fantasy, and since car design didn't change very rapidly up until WWI, few folks will be able tell the difference anyway.

I also believe MR had one or two Civil War era modeling articles about ten years ago, addressing musuem dioramas of same. Do a search of their publication index inputing various related phrases.

CNJ999

Reply to
CNJ999

Ray:

The South did win, if the prominence of the NS, CSX, Coca-Cola, and Wal-Mart in my very northern city is any indication, not to mention the way the rednecks completely overran what used to be Country and Western. They even conquered every Yankee truck bumper, damnit. South, south, south, I'm so damned sick of the South, and I don't even live there.

To the OP - I suggest modeling the B&O, which saw way more action than the maintenance crews ever wanted. Also note that the Tyco/ Mantua/Mantua Classics (?)/ Lionel General 4-4-0 is a model of a famous locomotive used by a Confederate railroad.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

On 9 Nov 2006 06:30:01 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu instead replied:

We mustn't forget the venerable trailer park, either, I suppose. I guess it does make you wonder . . .

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 11:57:30 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "fl@liner" instead replied:

He's just sort of being Steve. No surprise there.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

In O Gauge MTH makes sets and a wide range of supplementary items from artillery cars to reefers for that era. Engines include more than just the 4-4-0 "General" types. Passenger cars have furnished interiors. Some engines may be adjustable to run on both 2-rail as well as 3-rail layouts.

Reply to
RRGrandad

Steve Caple spake thus:

Double yep.

To me, the title of the song should be "The South is Gonna Fall Again". Damned rednecks.

D "damned Yankee" N

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Like Sarge used to say, don't clump up there, one mortar'll get alla ya.

Look out for that tornado!

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reply to
Jon Miller

famous locomotive used by a Confederate railroad.< I don't believe there are any pictures of the locos from that famous chase. Most models are a general look of engines from that time in history.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Then the photos with these articles don't exist?

Not only are there photos... but those actual engines still exist.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

I believe I said appearance at the time of the chase. Memory is old but seem to remember that the engine they have now, while the original, is not close to the appearance of itself during the chase. Notes, repeated below, would indicate that much rebuilding had occurred. Reference me a picture of the engine after the chase and I will retract all statements.

Although badly damaged from the resulting explosion and fire

to refurbish her

newly outfitted

Reply to
Jon Miller

Not exactly, not even obliquely... You said (and I quoted in my reply):

"I don't believe there are any pictures of the locos from that famous chase. Most models are a general look of engines from that time in history."

A good example why speaking in absolutes is dangerous... :)

Ummm... they're color photos. Since there was no color photography in the 1860's the pic are pretty clearly "after the chase". How MUCH after... but you didn't specify that. :)

But "Ahhh... he tasks me." So...

While they don't appear to be on-line, several comments on the site

make it clear photos do exist. For example:

"During the 1870's and 80's she continued her service, surviving new owners and a railroad crash in Kingston, finally moved into "accommodation service." Her job here was to pull excursions, frequently groups pertaining to the Civil War. Another popular group was the "car accountants," photographed with the aging locomotive at Allatoona Pass (Hike it) on a number of occasions."

"After her appearance at the dedication, the General retired to a siding in Vinings, where the old locomotive languished for a year when a photographer "discovered" the old lady and convinced the president of the NC&StL to refurbish her and send the locomotive to the Chicago Exposition."

And then...

This page:

includes a photo implied by context to be of the pre-restoration General.

Reply to
Joe Ellis