Davenport - Porter price diff.?

Looking at the Bachmann's 0-4-0 Side Rod Gas Mechanical in On30 after seeing a conversion kit for it. I know the prices in the Bachmann catalog are inflated compared to what the products can be purchased at near anywhere, but why is the Davenport set at $110 while the 0-4-0 steam powered Porter is set at $75? There's a lot more detail and parts on the steam Porter. The only big differences I see is that the Davenport is DCC equipped and has a diecast construction. Is that why the cost is so much higher?

Also, since the cab would be tossed for the conversion cab, is there any resale/eBay value to the stock cab?

Can't believe I'm looking at more locos when I haven't even started a layout yet.

~Brad fd64

Reply to
flyingdragon64

Yes, and considering the usual price differentials between DC and DCC, the cost isn't that much higher.

I doubt it.

Reply to
Wolf

Wolf posted:

Interesting. Looking through their catalog again, I notice some engines are DCC Equipped, some DCC Ready, and some no DCC at all. Wonder how they decide which of the 3 variations they will go with when putting them on the market.

I had thought I'd only be interested in steam for On30 but Banta has some sweet looking conversions for the Gas Mechanical. Wanted to post the exact page with photos but it doesn't seem to have a separate URL. Anyway, if anyone wants to look (or if anyone has built one of these and could pass along how the project went) go to:

-then click on "O Scale Kits"

-then scroll down to the conversions section and click on "Wood Cabs for the Bachmann Gas Mechanical"

The "Peaked Roof Cab" and the "Boxcab Diesel" is what's looking good to me.

~Brad fd64

Reply to
flyingdragon64