Hornby info?

I make no such demand - the problem is that you yanks don't have a name for yourselves. "American" is a _description_ which logically refers to anyone or anything from the two continents of America - that's how the English language works, and hence my list of examples.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sure, avoid the problem and allow yanks to hyjack the name - it works for Canadians!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Words mean what people use them for. Logic has nothing to do with it.

I used to think the way you did, Greg, until I came to this country. then I found out that what non-Americans, and non-North Americans think is logical doesn't mean squat. The only polite thing to do is to go along with whatever people want to call themselves. Or what they want you to call them, which is not always the same. In fact, if you don't, you're liable to get a fat lip. Or worse, in some parts of this great continent.

Reply to
Wolf

I hate to burst your bubble, but (assuming the person using the words is attempting to communicate) the words mean what the recipient hears and that requires a degree of logic application.

That's fine for those of you living within the USa, but this is an international forum, read by people around the world. If I'm faced with the dilemma of either insulting 300 million people or insulting the other 700 million Americans the choice isn't difficult. When people demand that I insult the majority, as happened here yesterday, I'm quite likely to apply a fat lip to the person making that illogical demand. It's the 21st century, not the 19th, so the USa needs to join the bigger world.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote: [...] If I'm faced with

And what proof have you that those people feel insulted? have you actually spoken to any of them? Done a survey of several thousand of them? Etc etc.

Apart from your "logic", which is somewhat distorted by your hatred of the USA, you have no reason to assume any kind of insult. [...]

Reply to
Wolf

I don't need proof that those people feel insulted. I also don't think that yanks really have any deliberate intent to insult.

It's basic english language usage which applies to almost anything and everything. Pick a generic word: 'Locomotive', for example. Add an adjective: 'steam locomotive'. Add another adjective: 'US steam locomotive'. One can keep going adding and refining the adjectives and noun to make a more precise description. One cannot, unless one is able to indicate nonverbally, say "locomotive" and expect anyone to infer that you are refering to a specific locomotive. 'America' refers to two complete continents - you can refine that by adding adjectives such as 'north' and 'south' or 'United States of' or 'our part of". I'm definitely not prepared to lower my standards to your complete absence of logic, even if you do find that insulting - the problem there is all yours.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter