Lionel internal switch wiring

I am new to Lionel in general. I am currently working on some type 011 switches/turnouts. I purchased these as units in need of repair. unfortunately the internal wiring on both has been disconnected. My question is how to rewire the contacts driven by the solenoid. I believe that solenoid which consists of two coils with one common wire which goes to center rail. The other ends of coil connect to contacts that are in the base of switch unit, one coil goes to one contact and second to the other contact. These contacts are set up so one closed and the second is open. When energized the the contact opens the first and closes the second. There are also to wires coming from the terminal which are on the 011 switch and would be used to connect external switch which I think should be a momentary center off type. Toggling the switch would change the 011 switch. The wires from the terminals are also supposed to be connected to the contacts which the solenoid actuates but I don't know how they are to be connected. Lastly there are wires coming from the out side rail of straight through rail as well as the turnout rail. I believe that the solenoid is only supposed to be pulsed(intermittent duty not energized all the time) and toggle 011 switch from straight through to turnout, but I have been unable to figure out how to do this. Can any one point me in the right direction? Thank you Tom

Reply to
Tom

You are correct about the basic operation of the switch - one end of both solenoid coils are connected to the third rail as a power source, and the switch is thrown by momentarily connecting the other side of the coil to ground. The remote control is a SPDT momentary (spring return to center off) electrical switch that temorarily connects one or the other coil to ground. The O11 switch also has a "non-derailing" feature (similar to that on the later 022 switch) so that when the wheels of an approaching locomotive enter the switch, the wheels complete a circuit from the grounded rails, through the loco wheels and axles to the insulated rails, and then to the appropriate coil to throw the switch points before the loco reaches them. The internal contacts on the switch serve to interrupt the non-derailing circuit so that all the following cars do not continue to energize the already throw coil and cause it to overheat. Note that the two insulated rails require insulating track pins where they connect to the next track sections on the straight and diverging routes.

One feature that is missing on the 011 is the ability to power the switch coils from a power source separate from the third rail propulsion power, a feature provided by the "fixed voltage plug" on the 022. Using a separate source assures positive throwing of the switch while a train is operated at lower speeds. One thing you may want to add while you have your switches apart is to bring out the feeder from the trird rail to the two coils, so you can cut this connection and separately power the switch from a separate source. Geezer |

Reply to
Geezer

Thank you. I am going to digest this this evening and have a go at getting one of the switches working.  I was unaware of insulated track connector pins.  I kept saying to myself if there is power on the rail the coil is always going to have power.  Thanks for taking time to answer. I tried to send this via email but even removing "NOSPAM" emial was bounced. Tom |

Reply to
Tom