making tinplate O gauge train cars

I have an interest in trying to make O gauge rail cars.

take a look at this ebay link:

What kind of equipment would be required to make this Pullman car?

I was looking at a 5-ton punch press, like the Whitney Model 58:

Can someone point me a website devoted to doing this?

Reply to
Hunter

It's not the press that demands the capital, but the dies. You're probably looking at $100,000 and up to make the dies for this project. The chances of recouping your investment are pretty slim, but if you've got the dough...

Reply to
Special Agent Melvin Purvis

Oh, and by the way, that car on e-bay is STANDARD gauge, not O gauge.

Reply to
Special Agent Melvin Purvis

If you want to make simple box shapes the dies shouldn't be too complicated, ie not too expensive. They would be just within the capabilities of a competent home handyman.

In very basic terms you need a 'steel' flat of the shape you want and a reverse outline shape, locating pins and the press. (plus tinplate sheet) You will also need punches for the tab slots and (axle) holes. The lithography for small runs can be as simple as a lino cut.

The first tinplate toys were made with very basic tools and workshop equipment and probably a lot of patience. I made my first HO wagon chassis this way.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Making cars from tinplate is one way, brass is another. Both of those metals along with German silver will use punches and presses for making the panels. You will want to get a fairly large press to do the side panels of a car. Die work is expensive if you have somebody eelse do it but it is just a lot of time to get the cuttting done. You can also do the work in wood, paper or plastic as desired. Plastic is nice as you can get styrene sheets of various fine thicknesses down to

0.010" thick that you can cut and gllue with MEK or other solvents.,

-- Bob May

Bob May