Manual versus Automatic Turnouts

How do you feel about using manual versus automatic turnouts? I know some people feel like they're part of the railroad if they actually have to get down and throw the manual switch.

Myself, I definitely prefer the automatic ones, but I absolutely hate wiring the damn things up, it's so monotonous (and I usually plan for a lot of turnouts). I had automatic turnouts on my last layout, and I think it took quite a bit out of me to wire them all (ended up dampening my enthusiasm, you know?).

I've actually been thinking of using manual turnouts on my next layout, just for the simple fact that I can slap them down quicker and be done with them. They're also cheaper, although that's not the major concern. I also found some of the automatic turnouts didn't work that well, they were kind of hit and miss. I did love operating the automatic ones though, not sure how I'd feel about using the manuals.

Reply to
iarwain_8

Manual for a couple of reasons.

One - I like to follow my trains around the layout, it was built with that in mind.

Two - I can't afford, or don't want to spend, something like Can$20 per switch (That's what _real_ railroaders call 'em. Only editors of model magazines insist on "turnout".)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

magazines insist on "turnout"

Dammit! I call them switches myself, but I forced myself to use turnout because that's what I thought they were "supposed" to be called. I will say one thing about the term turnout: It's clear what it is. I suppose that's why editors favor it. Switch could mean anything.

Reply to
iarwain_8

Electrify the main-line ones - that way you can set a route from anywhere on the layout you might want to. Operate the local sidings by hand. One nice thing about Peco turnouts and motors is that one fitted with a motor can still be operated by hand. (I mount mine onto the underside of the turnout with brown paper beneath the sleepers, which also allows removal of the ballasted turnout without total demolition)

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'm not an editor!

- I use switches to control electricity.

- I mount switches on turnouts for route control.

- I use switches to control points on turnouts.

- I use point motors with end-off switching.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

And I'm a model railroader who models a railroad and, like real railroaders, I "line the switch", not a "turnout".

You go ahead and play trains and use your "turnouts", I'll operate my model railway and "line a switch".

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In the late 40s when I got into model railroading they were called switches and the relative size of the models were stated as O gauge, HO gauge etc. Except for those who like to argue, who cares -- it's not hard to figure out what you're talking about.

Jim Bright

Reply to
jhbright

I like the motorized switches, but can't afford all the motors yet. So, I am putting down the track and drilling for the motor for the future, while using ground throws now.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Actually, I saw a BNSF track bulletin the other day that called one a turnout :)

Reply to
me

Arguable. :-)

On the railway I work for they are called turnouts, and that terminology seems to be used throughout Australia these days.

Reply to
mark_newton

My prototype never used "switches" and as I understand it many US railways did not either.

Regards, Greg.P.

=8^)

Reply to
Greg Procter

We called 'em turnouts on the Southern Railway when I was there. We also called 'em switches. Either one would do, but the official term was turnout. We even had specially built cars to carry pre-built turnout kits we called

-get this- Turnout cars.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Iarwain:

I used to control mine mechanically with a system I got from (I think) THE BOYS' BOOK OF MODEL RAILROADING, which was languishing at our public library. I used fishing line pulling on wire cranks, attached to popsicle-stick levers, and rubber bands to pull the switches back to the normal position. It worked...okay. That railroad is now defunct.

I think the use of 'turnout' in model rr'ing cropped up to avoid confusion with electrical switches. I don't doubt 'turnout' was used somewhere in real railroading; possibly in England, though I think 'point' was the word there. Eric LaNal used to try to inject English terms into the Model Craftsman articles I have read, "fixing-hole", "mech", and that sort of thing.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

What about throttle cables? Has anyone tried adapting these? Piano wire in plastic tubing might work too. There's got to be an easier way!

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

polar bear spake thus:

Yeah, or maybe even bicycle brake cable; you could use bike gearshift levers to operate the switches[1]. Could probably get these for next to nothing.

[1] Nobody I've ever talked to calls them "turnouts", even if that's the "official" nomenclature. Perhaps the brass uses that term ...
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Piano wire in plastic tube is pretty much standard in England. Choke cables used to be cheap at car wreckers - only problem was that the knobs are different on each model. Not many recent cars actually had manual chokes. Rod works well - you need a die to thread the ends for nuts. Mount a cheap slide switch under the tie bar, with a peice of wire drilled into the plastic knob and the threaded rod through the knob along the line of movement. The other end of the rod comes through the layout facia and a knob from the hardware store fitted. The problem of thread/string/fishing line is that it changes length with time and temperature so point positions aren't guarenteed.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Old Hockey Games!!! You know... the kind with the stamped metal players? Those had bevel gears in little casings that were used to turn the players. 10 of them actually. You might even be able to rig them so your switch stand marker turns as well. Hmm... maybe a manual turntable application here too? Off to the junk shop we go!

Mac B.

Reply to
polar bear

The folks who build model airplanes use a control device consisting of a yellow rod inside of a red tube. There are fittings and bell cranks and all sorts of clevises and so on to move the thrust around corners. It is easily adaptable to switch control, and I have used it with success in the past for that application. I seem to remember that it is called "goldenrod" or some such. Hit the hobby shop and feign an interest in model planes and see what you come up with.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

Looked pretty expensive last time I was on their web site.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Either depending on the situation. If it's realistic switching layout you prefer then manual is the way to go. If it's the large CTC type operation then automatic. OF course you could do both and have local control panels which could be "activated to you" during switching...

I myself would choose the latter scenario as i do love to sit and watch em run from time to time...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano