May MR - Sierra Track Plan

Since we haven't had a good "bash or defend" MR thread lately I thought I'd comment. Overall I thought the May issue was very good with minimal fluff. The only real fluff being the Terry T. happy, happy, joy, joy editorial and his junior high model passenger train essay. Even the Lionel Strang drivel in brevity column actually had a degree of information that might be of use to someone. And there's more! He's got additional info on the practice structure coming next month. Now Armstrong's Sierra piece was great. Just thinking about building that monster gives me a head ache but its a very creative plan that is well explained. Not only did I learn a little about the Sierra, but the track plan has so many solutions to the obstacles encountered attempting to model the entire line one can't help but get some ideas that could be helpful in designing a layout. I've also enjoyed Iain Rice's Roque Bluffs series and seeing this little layout come together. Normally his constipated cram everything around a curve track plans are fun to look at but just don't appeal to me. He is adept at getting the maximum in the minimum and can certainly create charming little railroads that will actually fit into many modelers homes. The rest of the articles though not really helpful to me at the moment were interesting and I'm sure had value for quite a number of readers. As for Tony K. who I've always enjoyed reading........ I thought I knew where he was going with his column this time. He wanted me to take a new route home to see if I might find an out of the way station or unique forgotten RR structure to model, but what he really wants is for someone to build the Hendrick Depot since he's not going too. Good workman like issue with Armstrong's excellent Sierra article and plan being the highlight. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

I really cannot comment either way Bruce. I read N Scaler and The Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette. The Gazette always has something of interest and in my mind both magazines are far superior to MR.

Reply to
wannandcan