Model or Toy Trains

New here. Is this group only for model trains? If so, does anyone know of a group devoted to toy trains? Thanks in advance. Jim

Reply to
coolbet

On 1/15/2011 1:28 PM coolbet spake thus:

Hmm, not so's that I'd know. We do have a few snobs here who might turn up their noses at toy trains, but you can just ignore them.

To me, they're all toys: after all, none of us are using them for any practical purpose (apart from those few who make them for a living). Some toys are just more expensive, detailed and realistic.

We like to play with our trains.

Don't know of any such. Try searching for online forums (Yahoo! groups, etc.).

So what do you want to know?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

This group is primarly for model trains, although it somewhat depends on how you define 'model' and 'toy'.

Reply to
Robert Heller

On 1/15/2011 2:05 PM Robert Heller spake thus:

So how do you define them? (My definition has already been cast upon the waters here.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Mostly I would consider a lot of older Lionel somewhat toy-ish. OTOH, a lot of *wooden* (Brio) trains have a high degree of functional realism -- maybe not true model trains, but then again would give a 2-5 year old, budding model railroader, something safer to 'play' with than an actual H0 or N scale train set. One person's toy is another person's model (and vice versa).

Reply to
Robert Heller

What David said plus have you looked here:

Lobby Dosser

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Reply to
Roger Traviss

If your primary focus is on Lionel, American Flyer, Marx and other toy and tinplate trains of that sort you may wish to check out the Train Collector's Association (TCA)

the Toy Train Operating Society (TTOS)
I do not know of any Usenet groups oriented towards toy trains but it's possible one exists.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Try the "Bach Man" site.

There's more "toy train" types, without trying to be derogatory, over there than say on the Model Railroader magazine site.

Reply to
Roger Traviss

My idea of "toy" is the Lionel type O gauge stuff that includes accessories not necessarily to scale whereas "model" is more realistic and scale. However, my interest here is that I'm liquidating some of my toy train stuff and thought I might post it here, but wanted to check first.

Yes, I've been a member of TCA and the lot, and have checked their sites. TCA does have the e-interchange for buying/selling, but you have to be a member to sell.

Thanks for all the input.

Jim

Reply to
coolbet

IMO your best bet is e-bay. If you don't have an account, ask a friend to do the selling for you.

You could also try a classified advt in Classic Toy Trains, Model Railroader, and Railroad Model Craftsman. You'll have to make up a detailed list of your stuff. You'll find offers to buy as well, can't hurt to reply to those ads.

Good luck, Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Thanks, Wolf, but ebay (Boo!). Have had an account for years and buying there is great, but the seller takes a hit with all the fees. Compiling list at present.

Jim

Reply to
coolbet