New IHC 2-10-2

This month's MR has an ad for these; has anyone seen one, and if so, how good do you think they are?

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Let me put on my Carnac the Magnificent turban.

I predict it's going to be the mountain boiler with a new mechanism under it.

I'll bet it runs about the same as the rest on the IHC line.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Not having any experience with IHC, how do they run? Howard

Reply to
howard

The seven I have, all Premier, run fairly decent. I don't care for plastic chassis, but new, pretty good. Can't say about in continuous service, and read the blooming instructions, they tell you to lube them and where. Not lubing the motor and worm is to guarantee you have problems.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

Brian, I have several of IHC's steam engines in the Premier Series. Everyone of them runs like a champ. No problems with them as far as running goes. Pulling power is another question. Because they have plastic boilers there is not enough weight over the drivers. Adding some extra weight would help. If you are running on a flat and level surface they can pull a decent amount of cars. Any grade above 1 percent and you might have driver slippage.

I still like them because they do run nice and I can at least afford them.

Fred Ellis.

Reply to
Fred Ellis

Wait for the Bachmann Spectrun USRA light 2-10-2, due in December.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Thanks Rich

Reply to
howard

Reply to
G.M.

They're HO. The boiler and cab look like the same as for the Hudson, but with added and different details, as well as a different running board, air pump, etc.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

And the ten small drivers presumably fit where the six large ones did - but why are they selling this freight dragger with a passenger train?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reading their ad, I would think they are way overstocked on passenger cars and jusr want to get them out the door somehow. Keith

Reply to
Keith

I have a pair of IHC 2-6-0 Moguls. They run very well, good slow speed creep, quiet at full speed, stay on the track. They are a little light, and this limits their pulling power, but the prototype wasn't all that strong a puller either. The Mogul's have a decent interior weight that pretty much fills all the space inside the rather small engine. I looked into adding weight and could not find anywhere to put it. So for longer trains I double head them. That's why I have a pair of them. I would expect the larger IHC engines to weigh more and thus pull more. The level of detail is reasonable, not quite as nice as the Bachmann

2-8-0 Consolidation, but good enough. Looks can be improved by brush painting the bright nickel tender wheels with grimy black. One might consider doing something about the bright steel hand rails. It is possible to fit a working Kadee coupler into the pilot, with a bit of Dremel work. Just eyeballing the other IHC locomotive kits at the hobby shop, they look to be built about the same. I see no reason why all the IHC models should not perform as well as the Moguls.

David Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

David J. Starr wrote: [...]> I have a pair of IHC 2-6-0 Moguls. [...] Looks can be improved by brush

Try Hobby Black, or the stuff sold in gun shops to blue or blacken the steel. These are toxic, so handle with care, and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I have Hobby Black, and IIRC it works well on brass and not so well on iron and steel. I ought to drop by a gun smith, cause what ever it is, it works on steel. How's the weather up in Blind River this time of year?

David Starr.

Reply to
David J. Starr

David J. Starr wrote: [...]

Mild thunderstorm this morning, cool (ca. 2C) and wet, with winds gusting to 50km/h. Leaves are prettye well all on the ground now. No power this morning, but no info as to reason.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Reply to
G.M.

Those passenger cars have been on like a 60% off sale for 2-3 years now. I guess there are still no takers at that price...

:D

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Gee. I wonder why? They are really great models!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Probably because almost all of them are still on back order. I ordered a Milwaukee set in Jan, cancelled the back order back in August.

They're a generic car, no particular proto, but with a little hack and chop, they can be made at least reasonably close. The interior kits help a little, but the addition of weight would help a bit.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

You missed my satire completely!