New IHC 2-10-2

Actually, they sell out regularly. If you don't get your order in before or shortly after the container arrives, you'll have to wait till next year.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Not really. I've got a set, C&NW, and I know that the difference between these and any other road name from IHC is the color. My intent with them is strictly to irritate those that demand I follow a prototype, and I have no intention of following any prototype.

Just as I know the "Chipewa" wasn't a pacific, but it's still a nice looking loco, runs well and the nitpickers can go pound sand for all I care. Along with the passenger cars, it's going to spend it's life on a dead track, doesn't matter what they look or run like.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

Have you seen them? The dimensions are totally out to lunch, the coach in particular. The Branchline and Walthers products have killed these dead! Way worse than the old Rivarossi.

Reply to
Mountain Goat

I don't normally take my vernier caliper to the hobby shop when I go, nor do I have an optical comparator built into my eyeballs.

That explains why they're always back ordered? Branchline and Walthers are also much more expensive. I don't ever remember IHC being known as the epitome of scale accuracy, and at their prices, only idiots expect it.

Big loco's and long trains don't exactly look scale on normal track radius either.

My guess is that for every one nitpicker, there are between ten and one hundred that are running these cars and enjoying them as much as if they were jap brass.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

Yup. I have a pile of them, actually. At the fire sale prices, it's hard to beat.

I know they're not anywhere near prototype fidelity that some folks want. But, I'm not overwhelmingly concerned about that at this point in time....

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Don't need either, pick up the box, look through the little plastic window. The coach windows are too high on the sides by at least a foot, and are too small.

Korea has been the dominant brass manufacturer for twenty years. There's a difference between caring about accuracy and nit picking. If the car windows are so high on the car only a standing adult could see out them that's a major problem.

In any case there are lots of people who don't care about minimal amount of scale fidelity or prototypical paint jobs and run in a circle on a 4x8 by choice not necessity. I'm just not one of them. Some products just are not worth supporting. There's an old saw about 'good enough drives out better' fortunately I don't think will happen here. The Walthers and Branchline cars are raising the bar for passenger car accuracy without the expense of brass.

Is it working for them? Look at Walthers, if the cars were not selling they would not keep on adding new ones to the list, what they are in fact doing is this list.

PS standard streamline cars REA steel express reefers ATSF Chief sets HW Sleepers, Baggage, Coaches, Diners, Observation, Parlour Trainline short heavyweight cars (C&NW prototypes) REA wood express reefers PRR B50BExpress reefers PRR B60B Baggage Rebuilt troop cars to express cars Milk cars

This is called reinforcing success.

Bethlehem (with Intermountain) Broadway Limited are also getting on this train. HO & N CZ cars, East coast head end cars and more

Reply to
Mountain Goat

It's not my place, or yours or anyone else to judge. It's only a blooming hobby.

That's your opinion, and you were paid what it's worth.

IF you had said, "It's out of scale" and dropped it, you wouldn't be getting any flak from me. However, put yourself in the position of a beginner that's just gotten a set of these cars, then reads your spew. Chalk him off to another hobby. Nothing is going to drive off more people than something that smacks of snobbery, or even hints of it.

I have an eight car set of the IHC heavyweights, lined up behind their Hudson, they look pretty good. Scale? Probably not. True to the prototype? Probably not. Do I care? Probably not. When I get the collection of modules that seems to be taking over my living room assembled into a layout, will that train be on it? Also probably not. The biggest thing I'm planning on running is a 4-4-0 Pittsburg.

What I choose to support, I'll be the one to decide. What you choose to support is your concern, not something to try to impress and browbeat others with.

Rich.

Reply to
Richard