Pirating

I have read posts saying pirating is not stealing. I have been a victim of pirating. I purchased at $10,000 a business with rights to original models and the "Ultimate N Scale" logo. Now I find that Father Nature is selling the same products under that logo. My sells are minimal and now I know why. How can you say that is not stealing? How can you get the word out on something like this? It hurts investment in the business. I have also created my own line of model ships and been in business since 1973 under the name Panzerschiffe. I had to wrestle with an occasional pirate, but I was already established. Now my new business is dead in the water and there is no incentive to create additional models which is a loss to the hobby.

Reply to
D.J.Dougherty

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (D.J.Dougherty) wrote in news:221f8cb7.0312061905.10ca9e33 @posting.google.com:

See a lawyer.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Look harder, you'll find many retailers selling Ultimate N Scale branded products.

Check the US Patent and Tradmark Office

and do a trademark search - none listed for Ultimate N Scale.

As another respondent noted, check with a lawyer. The guy that sold you the "rights" to the name (at least in the USA) sold you nothing.

Val

Reply to
VManes

Nail the bastard.

To the wall.

With a pneumatic nail gun.

Make it hurt.

A lot.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

You have no idea what the facts are and you talk about nailing the guy to the wall with a nail gun?!

How do you know what REALLY happened here? You have no clue really.

Reply to
MrRathburne

It would appear that the person you bought the business from was engaged in a practice called wholesaling, selling his goods to other dealers for resale.

A German hobby site lists the Ultimate N Scale products, noting your purchase of the company and listing dealers that carry those products.

I would not call that pirating.

Your web site at

does not have these items listed for sale, nor are they included in your downloaded catalog. Maybe that accounts for the lack of sales.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Not quite understanding you here but it sounds like you're mad because he's selling items made by your company. Wouldn't it make sense that the items he's selling were purchased from the person that previously owned your company? The Father Nature site seems to be updated infrequently so he could be selling items that he originally purchased several years ago. The same goes for any other sites that you found items on.

******************************************* To respond to my email kill you need to kill the cat first.
Reply to
Dave

Oooh, l took the guy at his word. Turns out a few posts later he apparently got sold a load of snake oil. Oops. I didn't have those posts when I replied.

Calm down. It turns out I _didn't_ have all the facts.

If he did indeed get sold snake oil, I retract my comments.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

You've got to be kidding. HELLO! Why would anyone have N scale railroading supplies sold under a model "warship" (Panzerschiffe) specific website?

He said: "Now I find that Father Nature is selling the same products under that logo. My sells are minimal and now I know why. How can you say that is not stealing? How can you get the word out on something like this? It hurts investment in the business. I have also created my own line of model ships and been in business since 1973 under the name Panzerschiff."

The model warships is a separate enterprise and has nothing to do with the first. If he did sell under the warship site then it'd be no surprise at lack of sales. He has a problem in purchase of a name that apparently was never registered to the company he purchased. As others have said, see a lawyer. Apparently he failed to ascertain the complete purchase details.

Dave

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

Where praytell?

I have been a

Exclusive rights? Doubt it.

Now I find that

Good luck in your future endeavors. 8^|

Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

Obviously, several retailers have inventories purchased from the previous owner. Tex N Rails lists them, for example.

Sounds like if Mr Dougherty purchased Atlas, he'd expect every merchant to stop selling what Atlas stock they had on hand because he just purchased the "logo."

If it's a good product, they'll re-order - from him this time.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

*****

The referred to link goes to:

If he is selling them on another web site, why no link to it?

The only pages I could find actually selling the Ultimate N Scale models are the hobby shops he is complaining about.

Perhaps Mr. Dougherty should add a few illuminating comments about what has been said so far.

Reply to
Ken Rice

I don't get your point... Isn't

a link to another web site that is selling Ultimate N Scale?

Can you clarify your point?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

The miniatures Page is a web magazine for miniature wargamers, not a dealer.

The point is he bought the company in January 2003, and almost a year later he has no web presence for selling that product. His online catalog doesn't mention them. What is he doing to sell the product?

Reply to
Ken Rice

Actually no. But, as I said why would anyone go to a warship site to look for railroad supplies? Doesn't make sense to me to advertise there unless merely to add a link to connect two sites (one to the trains and one back to the ships).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Henk

I have no idea why anyone would look for trains on a warship site. It makes no sense.

But then, his comment about pirating makes no sense either. There is no evidence of him trying to sell the models, and his so-called "pirates" are people who bought the models for resale from the company prior to him buying the company. It makes no sense at all.

And why hasn't he provided any further comments on this thread?

Reply to
Ken Rice

Ahhhh, but who would look for warships on a train site? I was thinking a sailing ship sitting in a harbor would look cool. It could be a ship open for tours. Almost did it on my layout design until I eliminated the harbor in favor of a branch line.

The "Bounty" or "Mayflower" would look cool sitting in Waukegan (Illinois) Harbor.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Or how about a movie set? Is there an HO scale Russell Crowe out there?

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

"JCunington" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com...

A turn of the century British railway (Great Western in Wales perhaps...) would be quite fitting, sailing ships in British coastal water were common up to the early 1950´s but a harbour jam packed with sailing ships with a riot of masts and rigging would blend well with steam loco's proudly wearing polished brass and copper, Dean Goods would be especially nice in such a setting , Airfix make a collier, though I can't remember which of their models it is and it is the right size for a model railway not looking out of scale for HO I think it might be Endevour. this would look superb with a suitably modelled coaling chute in either British or American scenario, with the added advantage of being able to model back to the beginning of Steam, I believe Ian Rice modelled some of the more interesting early Victorian (british) engines such as reciprocating outside cranks.....sadly I dont have any pix of these fascinating models though I have seen an article on them some years ago in the British modelling press, I believe the Broad guage society offer models of Great Western broad guage loco's and stock (7´guage) as well as their baulk road (no sleepers.. just cross ties...) unfortunately noone offers any of the vaccuum powred trains of Isambard Kingdom Brunel which would surely make an interesting if wierd model, just for those who dont know, the Great Western in a trial with a light engine (pre 1850) exceeded 100 mph, the white metal bearings melted.... :) there are enough kits and rtr models about to model all the way back to the first steam railways, I dont know how realistic this is in an american scenario, but knowing the standard of US modelling I would not be suprised to find that it ha already been done :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf