Rail gaps

A long time ago there was a discussion on how to fill gaps in nickel silver rail. (HO) Can anyone provide me with some ideas? I do want to preserve a non- conductive gap. Thanks! Ron

Reply to
Ron

Just glue a piece of plastic in the gap and file to fit

Reply to
Howard Garner

Insert a flat toothpick (quite easy into cork roadbed) and sand or shave it to the rail's shape.

Reply to
Whodunnit

You can get insulating plastic rail joiners, which are good for situations where you can pull the two rails apart and side in a joiner. The slot down the plastic joiner is not continuous: there's a sub-mm barrier which separates the two rail ends. I use Peco joiners.

In situations where I've wanted to cut the rail in situ, I've found that any small bit of plastic of a suitable shape works well. The above-mentioned Peco joiners come on a plastic moulding spine, where you have to pull them off, and this spine has a collection of small blocks with thin plastic tabs. The plastic tab is just the right shape to slot in between the rail gaps and with careful positioning and some PVA glue it's possible to make a solid and even construction.

The plastic blocks are quite small and because the plastic and glue are translucent it's not that obvious either.

(I'm using N but I think the situation will be similar in HO.)

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I fill the gaps with epoxy paste. The stuff that's stiff enough to hold a shape while drying.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I used a pieces of styrene matched to the thickness of the joint, glued with ACC, and then trimmed with a nippers and filed to the shape of the rail.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

I find that just a little drop of white glue is more than enough. The voltage is only 12V and you don't need a big gap in there.

-- Bob May

Bob May

Many thanks for all of the suggestions! Guess I can cope now... Ron

Reply to
Ron