Rejuvenating old cork roadbed

One of my train buddies got a stash of old cork roadbed. It's rather dry and hard.

Is there any good way to put some moisture back into it and make it flexible enough to use? Will it just dry out and get hard again quickly?

tia Val

Reply to
Val

It always goes brittle and is usually unsalvageable.

It's really a one time use product.

-- Cheers Roger T. See the GER at: -

Roger T.

No, the flexibility comes from the rubber in it, when it oxidises, that's the end.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

You might try ( and I don't know how to spell it ) Gliseren ? When used on dried gaskets on cold storage doors it keep them FROM drying up. Could be that it MIGHT be worth a try if it's a decent amount of cork. Paint in on both sides several times and see what happens.

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

--------------------------------------

I use glycerin to revitalize my Woodland Scenics, Life-Like, etc. trees. Works fine.

I believe I used glycerin to soften cork roadbed years ago. The cost might be more that buying replacement roadbed, though.

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

Some 40+ years ago I brought back a jeep trailer full of Lichen from the area around Eglin AFB. The Walther's catalog also sold raw lichen and had the formula to prepare it. No longer remember or have it but believe it was alcohol, glycerin and, perhaps, acetone. Anyway it worked but I used [all that I could get free :) ]pharmaceutical grade glycerin.

I understand there is an industrial grade available at far less cost but have no idea where it could be purchased.

BTW, still have about a 2 pound sealed bag of assorted fall-colored lichen I processed using Walther's formula and Rit dye.

Reply to
Whodunnit

On 9/18/2008 9:11 AM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake thus:

Glycerin can be easily purchased at any drugstore/pharmacy ("chemist" for our UK friends). I have a small bottle.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I believe all that stuff was mixed up in glycol (pure anti-freeze). MRR had an article or two preparing you own lichen back then.

[...]
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

No doubt it will be sold by the gram, for gold prices. That's why the small bottle. Try to find a trade in chemicals for industrial purpose. The industrial grade glycerin is, I think, yellowish in color.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

Wot's "MRR" or do you mean "MR", to use their own initials?

-- Cheers Roger T. See the GER at: -

Roger T.

Yup.

Have you made you own? We have lots of lichen here, might be fun to try making some - good project for the club.

Maybe. ;-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Interesting facts about cork.

video guy - www.locoworks.com

Thanks for all the inputs. I'm passing them on.

I'd say the consensus is it might be possible, but the time and material may make it not cost effective.

Val

Reply to
Val