Tuning Locomotives

I just picked up a new Walthers Trainline GP9M at a show, and it runs beautifully. When I drop the power from ~8V to 0V, it continues on for another inch or so.

How can I get my other Trainline GP9Ms to do that? What kinds of adjustments should I be looking to make in the mechanism?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Just guessing, but is it DCC and does it have a momentum setting?

Or a really good flywheel?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple wrote in news:1blcn5tryjwj $.9n8smrdldsdo$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

No DCC yet. It's not simulated momentum, the same effect can be observed by turning the power pack off without moving the dial.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Either you just got lucky, and the mech has no flash on the gears, or just enough play in it that it doesn't bind when you turn off the power. Or else the mech has been changed.

Keep in mind that the ability of the flywheel to continue to turn the worm gear depends on the thread pitch. Low pitch = high resistance to free wheeling (but more efficient power transmission). High pitch = easier free wheeling (but less efficient power transmission).

IOW, I don't think there's much you can do. IIRC, the Trainline mechs use plastic gears, and these do not eun in as metal gears do.

HTH wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K