Wanted: Lionel 6-28248 Rio Grande SD-40T-2 Diesel Non- Powered

Wanted: Lionel 6-28248 Rio Grande SD-40T-2 Diesel Non- Powered

I already own the powered unit. I would like the non-powered unit for a lash-up.

Reply to
i-dj

Those SD-40 units issued 5 months ago are very hard to find........

Lionel built very few.... I had a 1 day option & passed (bad decision).

I made a dummy SD-40T-2 from a single drive axle powered unit....

I cut the 4 power feed wires to the 2 Can motors (wire nuted the hot ends)

and then rotated the trucks 90 deg to remove both the drive collar

and worm gear on each motor.... (bottom gear boxes must be opened up)...

My 'heavy dummy' Rio Grande SD-40 has smoke, lights, sound when needed...

Rides perfect with MTH Proto 1 & 2 engines....

Reply to
Dennis Mayer