Anson Museum End of season weekend

This show is on the 24th & 25th October. Looks like it will be a good weekend . see

for details

Reply to
Dave Croft

Gentlemen & Dave,

Just spent four days at Internal Fire Volunteering, including the Museum's Lister engines we had nearly a hundred running at 14:00 yesterday to celebrate a hundred years of Lister's. Amongst the engines brought to the show was Lister J type 201 built by Lister in 1909 which had been loaned to two gentlemen by Lister's themselves and a very nice, also very old and rare dry sump Lister P type which had been brought all the way up from deepest Somerset. I think those that attended would like to congratulate Paul, Hazel and all the Volunteers for the efforts to make the weekend what it was even though somebody forgot to order the weather :-))

Pictures etc later.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Gentlemen,

The IF pictures can be found here.

Reply to
campingstoveman

What's Big Red behind the engine in photo #8? (I like the big stuff :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Reply to
campingstoveman

2000hp V16 Cummins - video here:
On this year's project list for final sorting so that we can run with some revs... :-)

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Thanks for the pics Martin, just watched through a couple of times on slideshow and it looked like a pretty good do. My usual chronic lack of planning prevented me from being there but we WILL wrap a long weekend around a visit some time.

Couple of questions; how does the Proteus compare to the Paxman in terms of noise and did the Harmonic manage an extended run (kept falling 'off the pipe' when I was there)?

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Ooop's I left 8 cylinders off :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

campingstoveman

That's one nice little engine... ;-)

What's the starting mechanism? Too big an engine to be electric start, I presume?

Ahh, I think the big stuff sounds nicer at lower revs, though - just give it some sort of load to work with and it'll sound fantastic.

I've lamented in the past how very few folk preserve the big IC engines - they seem to survive in far less numbers than steam, yet what they may lack in sight they tend to make up for in sound...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
campingstoveman

Blimey - looked a bit big for it. Wondered if it were air-start, or some kind of Coffman affair, or a smaller auxilliary IC engine... can't obviously hear anything running before startup, though.

(as a kid I was in awe the first time I saw a machine with an aux engine - I mean, it needs an engine just to start the engine? How cool is *that*? ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Twin 24V starter motors. Modern electrics have far more oomph than the old Lucas stuff :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

That's impressive...

I've never had too much trouble with Lucas stuff really - not any worse than other electrics from the period. I think it just got a bad rep because it was so common, and the things it put in often vibrated themselves into oblivion and shipped water like a leaky boot :-)

Reply to
Jules

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Ouch! I can imagine it was a bit of a mess. It may not have been the revs that killed it as such, but the starting engine trying to 'fight' with the main engine. No surprise which lost ;-)

Yeah, stuff of that sort of size does seem to pack a lot of punch into a quite compact volume. Had some friends in NZ with an old V12 Paxman that was similarly 'small'. (they also had a pair of 1930's diesels -

725 litres, each the size of a bus. Sounded fantastic when they ran; surprisingly quiet considering, but a great low-pitched rumble!)

I stumbled across this big straight-six with aux starting engine in a

1913-vintage Dan Patch loco a few weeks back:

... sadly no clue as to who made the engine, despite much crawling around the loco's innards :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules