Astle Park

Just back from the 1000 engine rally, fair to poor weather, engines not all that special this year, nothing that really jumped out at you. That's not quite as bad as it sounds, what was there was fine, but too many 'small' engines and not enough of the larger ones that this show was famous for. Must have been a record number of Lister D's, David McCreath's Fowlers almost looked out of place!

Probably the most interesting item was a Lister D powered Lacey-Hulbert diving compressor, really unusual and was in running order. Stalls were up to scratch, especially if you looked around for the occasional bargain.

Saw a lot of the regulars, Kim, Martin P, Dan Howden, David McCreath, Philip T-E et al. Missed the beer tent gathering at 1pm as we were hunting for Onan bits and didn't notice the time! Anton van der Cruijsen was there, brought over some Junkers literature for me to copy and return, plus he presented Rita with a lovely pair of miniature Dutch clogs.

Got a brand new fuel pump for the Onan, not quite the right one but close enough to be well worth picking up. Got some literature, Bryce injection, Ward lathe, couple of Hatz manuals, plus a couple of new King Dick spanners for portland in August.

Also collected the Petter AV1 generator after delivering to Stourbidge rail depot, that's in the back of the van, have a look at it tomorrow.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

The Lister D pump set was from Internal Fires collection, tried to speak to Paul Evans but he was always busy, spoke to Hazel instead, a better choice I think :-)) We also missed the beer tent gathering on the basis I had to drive home. Took lots of pics of Listers and I found a Lister B exhaust manifold plus some stainless wood screw to bolt down the recently acquired stairlift. Regarding lack of large engines I think that the cost of fuel kicks in here, all being well I'm taking my Lister L 9 hp to Dorset, last time I took it used 31 litres of fuel at today's prices that isn't cheap and unfortunately that will be the last time it goes to Dorset for that reason alone.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Didn't see you there, Charles, and we were there up until 3.45pm before we headed back home, got back at about 18.30.

With the Junkers sitting outside, the Petter AV1 just arrived and now the other Onan W3S on the horizon, it would not be right for me to get yet another engine, perhaps one of the guys here on the newsgroup would be interested?

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes wrote (snip):

Funny, I don't really associate the 1000 engine with large engines particularly but with the unusual. Last time I went (last year) for instance there were a at least two Hardy and Padmores including a 'style

1' with its peculiar working cycle (Loyal?), horizontal and vertical Grimoldby Demons, a Glasgow sleeve valve and a couple of interesting home-made jobs to name but a few.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Ignorance is bliss sometimes but what is a CLM

Reply to
campingstoveman

Compagnie Lilloise de Moteurs

Junkers licencees

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Like the man said, so it's an opposed piston diesel job of great technical interest. ISTR Charles' example is a bit 'got at' - probably the result of a previous life as college test engine - but a very nice thing none the less. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the space to do it justice.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

How about Peugeot- Junkers ??

With the Junkers engine came a large photocopied CLM book, together with other miscellania, including some old stuff on Peugeot-Junkers, Peugeot presumably having taken out a licence pre-WWII??

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I would have been interested in Charles' engine, but too many new projects arriving at once has put that out of court.

The one thing to remember is that although they look complex, the basic entities are mechanically fairly simple.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

I've been very busy recently and have not picked up a spanner nor been near an engine in weeks. So I was determined to have a day off and visit the Astle Park 1000 Engine Rally. It is just over 150 miles for me in Bristol & as in previous years I drove up on Friday evening, arriving at about 1030pm. I set up some stuff to "book my spot" and spent a cheerful Saturday exhibiting my Stuart Turner flat twin. Kevin and Carol Phillips & Keith from WSEC were also there with their Victorias running all day. A number of internet friends found me out and it was good to renew old acquaintance. Heavy rain was forecast, but I took a gazebo as you are now allowed to do & anyway it was not as bad as it was forecast.

As usual at Astle Park, there were some very unusual engines, all the engine pens being full. I was especially impressed to see a small early inverted engine that seemed to be a Troublesome Beast, going as often as it was stationary!

Some were slow to get their covers off, but by early afternoon when it had been dry for an hour or so, I think every engine was running - or at least on display. I didn't count them, but I bet there were four hundred engines present. Both Internal Fire and The Anson were represented with some impressively large engines, there were a number of models on display and the well organised Club Shop had a good selection of engines and related machinery on sale. In broader interests, there were a good number of Trader's Row stalls, fifty or so motorcycles and a similar number of tractors - "the biggest display in the UK" the man on the PA said.

At 5.30 I wrapped everything up and decamped to the Anson Museum along with about two hundred other enthusiasts and Geoff Challinor and a surprising number of enthusiastic volunteers ran around starting engines. As usual, there have been a number of improvements and additions, buildings extended & improved, the car park was better surfaced and larger & the "to be looked at" section bigger than ever. As I said to Geoff, it isn't that they've done something in the year since I was last there, they have done so much it is hard to keep up! Previous visitors will probably recall the big twin cylinder steam engine at the end of the side building. This is now being extended & the steelwork is already in place and they have every hope of getting the various steam engines stored in that building up and running before the end of this year - another milestone passed.

In particular this year, I noticed the growing number of very early engines and these alone would make the trip worthwhile for anyone with a certain amount of oil in their blood!

And so home, arriving at around 1.00am

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I passed it a couple of times on Sunday but the owner wasn't about. I saw the welded drop plate for the engine mounting and wondered if something else had been the original fitment.

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
D.J.Carter

Martin P advised that it was one of the Internal Fire machines.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

It is from IF, I and Dan have played with it many times.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Roland emailed the following:

"It is indeed and apart from the wheels is believed to be original (ex Portsmouth dockyard). The same set features in a Gardner cat using a 1ACR engine. L-H used a lot of Lister Ds"

My cousin, John Price, worked for Lacey Hulbert for many years and drove their delivery van round the country.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Me Steve and Bob lester were looking after the IF exhibits for the weekend. The diving compressor attracted lots of interest from the moment we pulled up on the rally field friday morning. It's a very low maintainence exhibit just needing the levels checked and fueling up in the morning, afterwards you can just leave her run, just needed to check all was well now and again. Sorry i missed you Dave i was probably in the pen somewhere but was also tending to the 6HP Amanco and my Lister MH that was on the other side of the engine pen. It was a very enjoyable weekend indeed even the weather couldn't ruin it for us

Regards Gary Millward

Reply to
gary millward