Ay up chuck!

My metal hacking needs are catered for by a Chinese multi-purpose machine (Chester 'Model B'), but I have to admit that the mill/drill head has hardly ever been used for the former operation due the lack of a proper tool holding capability (yes, I have tried using the drill chuck with predictable results!). I am looking to rectify this and am trying to choose between the 'own brand' collet chuck that Chester sells which needs a separate collet for each shank diameter or an 'ER' chuck where each collet appears to cover a small range, enabling one set to cover both metric and imperial. There is an ER25 set sold from Hong Kong on ebay shops which works out a good deal cheaper than the Chester set by the time you add in the cost of all the collets, but are there any drawbacks to the ER system - I've always though of a collet as inherently single size device.

I know there are some 'proper' engineers out there - any advice gratefully received.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I know it isn't what you asked but I've had one of these for some years and been very pleased with it.

're quite expensive compared to the cheap pillar drills but are much more rigid and capable. In fact, you don't need a pillar drill if you've one of these. They come up for sale on ebay and other places if you keep your eyes open.

John

Reply to
John

(snip)

J> I know it isn't what you asked but I've had one of these for some years J> and been very pleased with it.

uk/shop/ J> product/details/ cmd1225c-mill-drill/path/metal- lathes-milldrills

The beasty I have is similar to the CL500M from the same company:-

Hardly the last word in machine tool sophistication, but it packs a fair bit of capability into a small area which is important when you have only a small single garage to servers as workshop, engine shed and material (junk!) store. What type of milling chuck do you use?

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

I bought 2MT ER25 system for use in my lathe last year, and I wish I had bought it sooner. I bought it to hold end mills as holding these in the lathe chuck wasn't always successful, they would sometime be drawn into the work. Since then I have found them very useful for holding small work while I turn it. You are right - each collet covers a small size range - this is the range over which they can be pinched down by the collet chuck. They are ideal for my one-off needs, one set fits all.

I can't tell you the type though, I bought the chuck one place and the collets from Germany - but for all I know they both originated in China.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote (snip):-

Thanks for that Steve - I can feel my wallet twitching!

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Should have said that machine tool questions do well pitched up on uk.rec.models.engineering - nice bunch of people there too, but the name is a bit out. It handles far more than model engineering - its more like home workshop. Many contributors frequent both groups and more.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Arrived yesterday from HK and look fine though yet to try it out. Vendor CTC tools on ebay BTW.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Remember you need a drawbar on the chuck to hold it in the MT.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

A piece of metric or BSW threaded rod and two nuts, most likely metric.

Mart>>

Reply to
campingstoveman

The Chester Multi-Purpose tool has an M12 drawbar for the mill/drill head

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

I have bought tools for my Clarke in the past that occasionally need English threads.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Fitted chuck, popped in an 11mm slot drill and assaulted a piece of scrap brass. Very satisfying - all felt so much more 'secure' than trying to use a drill chuck. Now to find something usefull to do!