Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Page 2 of 2
On 14 Sep 2006 15:57:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com wrote:

I think the idea is to reclaim the molten aluminium and recast it....the plug should survive.
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

Come on Ken...lighten up. You can hardly say that heating the plug to 300 degrees C above the melting point of the aluminium is a sensible suggestion.
There have been a number of useful suggestions already, I just thnk it would be more sensible to try them first to remove the plug than melting the aluminium from around it.
Personally I would go with long ong soaking first.
One thing that hasn't been suggested is soakiing in liquid paraffin of the chemist variety, not the ironmongers, warmed occasionally to assist penetration.
And plus-gas....theres nostalgia for you...I LOVED the smell of that stuff.
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

I wonder why usenet always seems to attract those who can tell others what to do, but dont have a clue themselves?
Having sucessfully removed plugs from aluminum heads after heating them with a torch, I know this works and doesnt result in a melted head!
Interestingly enough the eggsuckers might like to know that the melting point of aluminuim is 660 degrees C, and red heat for steel is 400 degrees C, and to actually melt something like an aluminium head you would need to put it in a furnace of some sort.

I wonder why usemet always seems to attract those who can't resist an abusive dig at others who have tried to answer the question fairly and properly in the first place.
Join the killfile, Ken. Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk

The syntax and tone seem remarkably similar to that used by a chap associated with November 5th. I apologise in advance if I'm wrong.
Julian.

In actual fact "Guy Fawkes" has not posted on usenet since 27th July, when a fruadulent court case of his was struck out, leaving him with 38k costs (which remain unpaid).

Surely you KNOW what attracted you? Or are you confused about that too?

If you get the aluminium red hot then it has melted. I would suggest you were working with an alloy head.

Bright cherry red is 790 degrees C in the dark, or closer to 950 in ambient light when viewed with the naked eye.
Having worked with metals in a laboratory and foundry environment I must say that I have NEVER seen red hot aluminium. Aluminium melted in bale-out furnaces we used was silver when molten, not red.
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

Maybe you should stick to working in laboratorys...........you certainly know fuck all about practical problem solving!

Your potty mouth does indicate a lower intelect than I am used to dealing with, that is true...so time for killfile I think.
bye bye
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

Hmmmmmmmmmm..................yet another eggsucker who seems unable to grasp the fact, that there is any difference between theory and practice!
Hey Ken, if they're eggsuckers, what do you suck?
byebye KF

Ken wrote:

Melting point of pure aluminium (near enough for casting alloys) is about 350C and the first daylight-visible red is about 600C or a strong cherry red at 900C
I'm planning on spending my weekend doing some more bronze foundry work. What are you going to do? Sue someone else?
J D Craggs wrote:

Early MZ motorbike used to have the same problem due to the last turn of spark plug thread filling with carbon, I still remember paying for the helli coil to put the torn threads back to working order. Removing the head and clearing the end of the plug thread if projecting may help. Hot and cold is always worth trying the different expansion/contraction rates can crack the seal, putting the head in a freezer overnight and then warming the aluminium trying to keep the plug as cool as possible is easier than chilling the plug.
Health and safety warning, putting bits of old engines in freezers without sufficient camouflage can result in physical violence and possibly divorce, it is vital not to get caught!
Anyway, after all the argy bargy, insults and palaver, have you got the bloody plug out of the head yet? Did it come out undamaged? And how did you do it?

    Right this minute one of the heads is in the oven and the kitchen smells like a well-thrashed bike after about 200 quick miles ;-)
    I'm trying the heat and penetrant combination first.
    Rest assured I'll let you all know when the problem is resolved.
    Gyppo

Don't forget to baste it regularly :)
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Or your wife kicks you out of the house :-))
Martin P

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:55:13 +0100, "campingstoveman"

    No wife to worry about these days. So I can barbecue cylinder heads or melt chain lube with a clear conscience. But to be fair she was always pretty good about such things. For those of you still blessed/cursed with a 'cuddly encumberance' I can confirm that a lot of hassle is avoided by 'cleaning up properly', as opposed to just wiping the kitchen surfaces with a grubby rag which leaves as much as it removes. As a male I *know* that you intend to go back later and do it properly, but for some reason the ladies never believe this. They jump in and attack 'your bloody mess' before you get a chance, and then grumble about 'doing *your* job' ;-(
    Mind you, coming back in from the garage at night when the trip switch trips and leaving oily hand prints along the wall as you search for the trip box in the dark takes a bit of living down ;-)
    Gyppo

Related Threads