Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head. - Page 2

Threaded View
Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

I think the idea is to reclaim the molten aluminium and recast
it....the plug should survive.

Alan
--
The Source For Premium  Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

Well im told aluminium is bringing a good price at scrap yards at the
moment.

Mike M

miley_bob@hotmail.com

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

I wonder if any of you numptys actually work with aluminuim everyday? If not
then lets hear what sensible suggestions you might have in reply to the OPs
original question.

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Come on Ken...lighten up.  You can hardly say that heating the plug to
300 degrees C above the melting point of the aluminium is a sensible
suggestion.

There have been a number of useful suggestions already, I just thnk it
would be more sensible to try them first to remove the plug than
melting the aluminium from around it.

Personally I would go with long ong soaking first.

One thing that hasn't been suggested is soakiing in  liquid paraffin
of the chemist variety, not the ironmongers, warmed occasionally to
assist penetration.

And plus-gas....theres nostalgia for you...I LOVED the smell of that
stuff.

Alan

--
The Source For Premium  Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

I wonder why usenet always seems to attract those who can tell others what
to do, but dont have a clue themselves?

Having sucessfully removed plugs from aluminum heads after heating them with
a torch, I know this works and doesnt result in a melted head!

Interestingly enough the eggsuckers might like to know that the melting
point of aluminuim is 660 degrees C, and red heat for steel is 400 degrees
C, and to actually melt something like an aluminium head you would need to
put it in a furnace of some sort.

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

I wonder why usemet always seems to attract those who can't resist an abusive
dig at others who have tried to answer the question fairly and properly in the
first place.

Join the killfile, Ken.
Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

The syntax and tone seem remarkably similar to that used by a chap
associated with November 5th. I apologise in advance if I'm wrong.

Julian.

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

In actual fact "Guy Fawkes" has not posted on usenet since 27th July, when a
fruadulent court case of his was struck out, leaving him with 38k costs
(which remain unpaid).

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Surely you KNOW what attracted you? Or are you confused about that
too?
If you get the aluminium red hot then it has melted. I would suggest
you were working with an alloy head.

Bright cherry red is 790 degrees C in the dark, or closer to 950 in
ambient light when viewed with the naked eye.

Having worked with metals in a laboratory and foundry environment I
must say that I have NEVER seen red hot aluminium.  Aluminium melted
in bale-out furnaces we used was silver when molten, not red.

Alan

--
The Source For Premium  Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Maybe you should stick to working in laboratorys...........you certainly
know fuck all about practical problem solving!

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

 Your potty mouth does indicate a lower intelect than I am used to
dealing with, that is true...so time for killfile I think.

bye bye

--
The Source For Premium  Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..................yet another eggsucker who seems unable to grasp
the fact, that there is any difference between theory and practice!

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.
Hey Ken, if they're eggsuckers, what do you suck?

byebye KF

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Melting point of pure aluminium (near enough for casting alloys) is
about 350=B0C and the first daylight-visible red is about 600=B0C  or a
strong cherry red at 900=B0C

I'm planning on spending my weekend doing some more bronze foundry
work. What are you going to do?  Sue someone else?

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Early MZ motorbike used to have the same problem due to the last turn
of spark plug thread  filling with carbon, I still remember paying for
the helli coil to put the torn threads back to working order. Removing
the head and clearing the end of the plug thread if projecting may
help.
Hot and cold is always worth trying the different expansion/contraction
rates can crack the seal, putting the head in a freezer overnight and
then warming the aluminium trying to keep the plug as cool as possible
is easier than chilling the plug.

Health and safety warning, putting bits of old engines in freezers
without sufficient camouflage can result in physical violence and
possibly divorce, it is vital not to get caught!

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.
Anyway, after all the argy bargy, insults and palaver, have you got the
bloody plug out of the head yet? Did it come out undamaged? And how did
you do it?

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

    Right this minute one of the heads is in the oven and the
kitchen smells like a well-thrashed bike after about 200 quick miles
;-)

    I'm trying the heat and penetrant combination first.

    Rest assured I'll let you all know when the problem is
resolved.

    Gyppo

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.

Don't forget to baste it regularly :)

Alan
--
The Source For Premium  Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.
Or your wife kicks you out of the house :-))

Martin P

Re: Best penetrant to help remove spark plug stuck in an aluminium head.
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:55:13 +0100, "campingstoveman"

    No wife to worry about these days.  So I can barbecue
cylinder heads or melt chain lube with a clear conscience.  But to be
fair she was always pretty good about such things.  For those of you
still blessed/cursed with a 'cuddly encumberance' I can confirm that a
lot of hassle is avoided by 'cleaning up properly', as opposed to just
wiping the kitchen surfaces with a grubby rag which leaves as much as
it removes.   As a male I *know* that you intend to go back later and
do it properly, but for some reason the ladies never believe this.
They jump in and attack 'your bloody mess' before you get a chance,
and then grumble about 'doing *your* job' ;-(

    Mind you, coming back in from the garage at night when the
trip switch trips and leaving oily hand prints along the wall as you
search for the trip box in the dark takes a bit of living down ;-)

    Gyppo

Site Timeline