Compressor rotation

I've come by a small compressor, single cylinder, usual valves in the head etc. There is a directional arrow cast into the flywheel which is damned inconvenient as it would suit me a lot better if it went round the other way!

Sitting & mulling it over this evening, I can't for the life of me see that it makes any difference which way it goes round. It is splash lubricated from a big end dipper & the valves are operated by pressure as one would expect.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Often there are fan blades cast into the flywheel/pulley which are supposed to blow air over the machine. Other than that, is the big end and dipper symmetrical? maybe an oil collector on the rod on one side?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Any screwy bits which might tend to loosen if rotation reversed (overhung big end assy's are a favourite)? Or (a long shot this one) any desaxe offset intended to reduce piston side thrust during compression stroke?

Reply to
Nick H

Some bigend caps with dippers have a hole drilled above the dipper facing toward the direction of rotation, reversing the direction would entail rotating the conrod 180º.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

could the dipper on the big end be directional? if so, could the rod and piston be rotated? are there 'fan blades' cast in the flywheel? also, the gudgeon pin may be off center, as some are, a few thou? just some thoughts. my best, sammm

Reply to
sammm

Although your compressor is not the same as mine this may be of some help... For my Broomwade AC10, the manufacturers literature is quite clear... the compressor can be operated in either direction, the only advice they give is that if oil is thrown out of the oil filler or dipstick, you can swap the interchangeable crankcase sideplates, one of which holds the filler & dipstick (not a pub).

Reply to
Sandra

I've had the lid off now & the dipper is central & the internals appear symmetrical to my rheumy old eyes.

Alas, the excellent idea about the fan blades cast in as spokes falls by the wayside as the pulley is a disc. However, in dismantling the thing, I notice that the boss is a little wider than the shiny "witness" on the shaft, so although it is the same colour & looks original, it may not be - which would solve the problem. I have refitted it on its shaft with the arrow inwards, thus avoiding later "do you know ..." comments from onlookers!

It was a good exercise though, it was one of those things that clarifies the thinking. Thanks to all for their input.

Anyone for a pint at that well known hostellery "The Filler & Dipstick" ?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" > wrote (snip)

Probably best to grind the arrow off, following the same logic as an 'historical' plaque recently affixed to a bridge near us which states that the original weight limit plate was removed during the war to allow heavy military vehicles to pass! Might not have worked had they just turned the plate over ;-)

I prefer "The Dog and Sprocket" (for Frazer Nash fans)

Reply to
Nick H

There was a rural American township that made a fuss when a Moose Crossing was designated near the town. They got up a petition to have it moved to a safer place as it was too close to a bend............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn