Cutting and welding fuel tanks

There is a conversation about this going on in Another Place

snipped-for-privacy@oldengine.org

and it being quiet here, I thought I'd kick off a new thread. The thread started by discussing the use of old Propane bottles and refrigerant tanks as cooling hoppers et al.

I've come across a few ways of stopping your tank from going BANG when cutting or welding.

In the Isle of Man in the 1970's there was a very skilled aluminium welder who could weld up your tank while you waited. If you went for the expensive option, he'd throw a handful of dry ice (frozen CO2 which he kept in a big vacuum flask) into the tank first. The cheap way was to flash it off, done with a lighted taper on the end of a long stick. He always had plenty of space around him in an otherwise crowded paddock ;o)) Usually, there would just be a faint pop, but on a warm day, you might get a whoof of flame out of the petrol cap. Once I saw the tank converted into a roughly flattened sheet of aluminium that did not fly too badly at all. They stopped him doing it after that.

My mate Reg Lewis that removed dents from steel motorcycle tanks in the

1980's used to tip a bottle of AirWick into the tank before he cut the bottom out never once had any trouble.

I've always filled them with water overnight and then swilled them out with a drop of washing up fluid (tepol) given a hearty shake and drained out.I work on the principal that if it doesn't smell of petrol, there isn't enough to explode.

I'd fight shy of taking an angle grinder to a Propane cylinder without some kind of precautions, I must say. Any ideas, anyone?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

endlessly discussed on Old engine and RCM for years. A hunt through the archives of either will present more opinions than you could ever wish for :-) FWIW I follow your approach. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Gentlemen,

Given the choice I would either go for a rubber solution which you spread in liquid form on the inside of a tank which usually works or make or get another one. If a tank is that bad that you need to put a naked flame to it no thanks.

I do find that if you clean it up well enough you can also use a copper soldering iron and patch it with a piece of tin and soft solder.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

A kettle of boiling water poured in and left for a short while will drive off all the problems.

Reply to
rebel

just add another angle,. i always use 25 litre drums for my tanks?

easy to cut up and great when painted.

thanks, Martyn

i personally think the gas bottle idea is to dangerous althougha good idea.

Reply to
Martyn Butler

just add another angle,. i always use 25 litre drums for my tanks?

easy to cut up and great when painted.

thanks, Martyn

i personally think the gas bottle idea is to dangerous althougha good idea.

Reply to
Martyn Butler

Some acquaintances of mine used to convert propane cylinders into wood burning stoves. The process involved removing the valve and putting the cyclinders onto bonfires to 'burn off' the gas. Apparently the propane was a bugger to displace as it allegedly permeated into the cyclinder material and the fire removal method was the quickest way of getting rid of the gas before serious angle grinder work started. To the best of my knowledge they still have all of their digits and vital organs ;-)

Reply to
vernon levy

i don't know whether freon refrigerant tanks are common in the uk but that's what i use. the air conditioner people are usually glad to give them away. sammmmm

Reply to
SAMMMMM

Hello Vernon, long time no hear ;o))

I too understood that the gas - or at least the substance they put in it to make it smell - creeps into the steel and the only way to get it out is by heating the tank to drive it off. Taking the valve out and building a fire around it would certainly do that!

I used a Propane tank as an air receiver on a compressor I built years ago and it has been in occasional use for thirty years now. If it stands idle for a while, the compressed air still reeks of gas although it has no discernable combustible ability.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I'm a bit of a nutter for slicing up propane cylinders, but I won't touch freon tanks. Propane residues are safely heatable once you've vented the tank, but hot freons can produce phosgene.

As for cutting them, I use a plasma cutter into a tank full of water. I'd never use an angle grinder or an oxy-propane cut, it's just not neat enough and propane cylinders are thick enough that grinding edges straight afterwards is a real chore.

My full protocol for doing this was posted to sci.engr.joining.welding ages ago. Pictures on the web too, but they need updating with more recent stoves.

Reply to
Andy Dingley