Holiday report

Ok so I don't go as far as Peter but I have just returned from an enjoyable

3 week break. The first weekend was a bit of a panic to get everything packed into the caravan and leave. The planned departure on Friday didn't happen and we finally left Saturday morning. First stop was Yesterdays Farming, just as visitors. Met Roland and admired his Petter as well as sympathising about his bad back. Little did I know what was to come. YF is a nice show with a varied selection of engines. Occasionally I heard a helicopter winding up it's turbine but never saw it. Finally I found the source of the noise. One exhibitor had an aircraft ground APU on show and was running it up. Apparently the first runs frightened the horses so the organisers asked for it to be run at set times in the main ring. Now that's what I call a stationary engine. On Sunday night, we moved from Somerset to Llandrindod Wells to visit where we used to live and see some old friends. We had arranged to stay in the van at a Pub now owned by a friend. During Sunday night it rained heavily. To cut a long story short, the pub was flooded and I spent Monday hosing mud out of the cellar. The problem was that the ceiling was 6" lower than my head so I spent all the time bending. By Monday evening my back was quite painful. One friend had bought a Norman twin engine. It looked complete but scruffy. However, the two pipe ends coming out of the cylinder heads confused us. Then the penny dropped. They were military spark plugs with screw on HT leads. From Mid Wales we headed SW towards Internal Fire. I hadn't told my dear wife exactly where we were going, just that I wanted to call in on a fellow I know called Paul. When she finally twigged she called me something quite unpleasant. As usual, we were running late and finally arrived just as IF was closing. Paul kindly allowed us to stay on his car park over night and next day I enjoyed myself wandering around his lovely old machinery while the rest of the family went to the beach. A good day was had by all. About 10 miles after we left Pauls, the car lost power and made very loud chuffing noises. The centre had blown out of a spark plug. The steel part was still in the cylinder head but the ceramic bit was on the exhaust manifold, still connected to its HT lead. I have never known a plug fail like that before. Fortunately, I had just bought a spare set as they were due to be changed so 6 new ones were installed and on we went again. My next stop was Honiton Hill rally. This clashes with a festival that my wife attends in Cheltenham so we all spent Thursday night there before I left her with the family and a tent. HH was most enjoyable. My back was getting better but a mysterious tiredness was with me. The engines were finally taken out of the car and put on show. Unfortunately, the BSA wouldn't start. Ignition problems were diagnosed but all the bits live behind the flywheel which needs a puller to remove it. Roland came to the rescue with a suitable bolt and some emery to clean the points. That sorted it and she started. The B&S ran OK this year. The auction was it's usual mixed bag of prices. There were some new tools being sold at well above their normal retail prices. I did buy a part for the Fergie plough. It was a little costly but within the budget. That was something else to carry around for the rest of the holiday. On Monday evening, the engines were put back in the car and the family arrived at Exeter station to continue the holiday . Tuesday evening we started our stay at the Great Dorset. Saw Martin hiding under his sun brolly and chatted for a while. Also met John Rogers briefly. Then it was off to the traders area and the rest of the show. No particularly interesting purchases but lots of engines to drool over, some mobile, some not. The organisers threat to charge admission after 18.00 seemed to evaporate fortunately so we all got to see the fun fair. Left GDSF Thursday afternoon. By now, wife was revolting and demanding that we spent some time on a proper caravan site for some real holiday. As a result, we booked onto a normal site for a week at the sea side. No engines or stuff to play with. We did have a ride on the Seaton trams though. I found a lovely place in Colyton called the Tool Shop. It's full of real tools from lathes to spades. Prices are a bit high but it's well worth a visit. I relieved them of two dreadnought files. I also called in on Axminster Tools and came away with more stuff to carry in the poor car. For the final weekend, we were booked into a show at Crediton. A nice little show with a normal selection of exhibits. Once again the engines were taken out of the car and allowed to run. The wind got a bit threatening on Saturday evening. The organisers tent looked like it might not stay the course. Various measures were taken including parking my car with it's wheels on the bottom of the wall canvas. All was well and Sunday was a lot calmer. I bought a couple of items. One trader was selling a bar cropping machine that just called to me. A bit of haggling bought the price down to £8 which I considered enough of a bargain to get my wallet out. A for sale notice on a BSA engine also caught my eye. Again, a bit of haggling and it's now mine. Now that may not sound like much to you guys, but it's only the third engine I have bought. The last one was about 15 years ago. This was a big decision for me. Also, this stuff had to be found a home in the car/caravan. Fortunately, the holiday was over so this was less of an issue now. Left there Sunday evening for a rush home and prepare for a new job on Monday.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Good write up John, thanks.Sounds like you all had fun.

Third engine? You know, some people just don't have a proper grip on this hoarding thing, do they? Still, all the more for the rest of us!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn